Far Far Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlynLow

Ok so I am in the Easton area and I am trying to listen to Meriden PD. I have the correct freq plugged into my scanner (I hope) but I can not hear anything. I know I have the correct one for the FD b/c I can hear them as well as their repeater.

Any suggestions as to how or why I can not hear Meriden PD?

Thanks

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I could be due to the antenna you're using. If you're really far away from something, A decent way to hear it is to use a base antenna that's high up on a roof, I've always had good luck with that.

FlynLow

Even though I can hear the FD from here. I am using a Uniden 250D, what antenna would I be best off with?

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
as far as antennas, It really depends on what band you're trying to listen (i.e low band, vhf, uhf, and so on). I got a decent one from J & S in Willimantic CT. I would recommend going into your local radio shop and ask for an all band antenna for your roof (If you can put an antenna up) and enough co-ax to go from your roof to the back of your scanner. If you're interested in a really good base antenna try giving J & S a phone call-(860-457-2667), With them, IO believe you can order over the phone and they can have it shipped to you.

Last edited:

FlynLow

Ok I see what I can find on google.

This wont work will it? http://www.scannerworld.com/content/product/model/ANT135BNC

I just tried Naugatuck and it does come in but choppy, so maybe an antenna would help get Meriden. Does it have to do with the freq that I can hear Meriden FD loud and clear on either 46.3800 or 151.1300 and not the PD on 852.78750,854.28750 ,866.01250, or 855.51250?

Thanks

Any radio shops in the Fairfield county area?

Last edited:

Cskib32087

Meridens 800 system does not play out of town very well. Im told they are in the process of going to bid for a digital simulcast system, and yes it will probably be encrypted. They tried for this a year ago but something went wrong with a site they wanted to use but rumor has it, its all set now.

Cskib32087

Oh and Northeastern Communications is in stratford (Faifield County) and waterbury
Utility is in hamden (New Haven county)
For radio stuff Northeatern is good, Utility deals in some cheeper radio brands (tait) and does whelen lighting, if your looking for that

FlynLow

Good to know. Just sux that I can't hear them now and even when they do upgrade ill still be out of luck....

Thanks for the info!!

joetnymedic

Feed Provider
you'll only be able to hear them if you run a REAL LONG wire probably up to the meriden line. :). anyways on the serious side, meriden pd's system is a pos. I can actually remember when i lived in wallingford and they chased a car and couldnt even hit the dispatch center from wallingford/no haven line. system is pretty sad. i was suprised to see wallingford go 800 but their system seems to be a bit better. on another note remember the higher you go frequency wise, the less distance you're gonna get. so trying to monitor 800 from a distance isnt gonna really happen unless it's a multiple repeater site like csp or you use an 800 mhz yagi on your roof. and even with the yagi, you may have a problem depending on the system.
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.