• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC GMRS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering where would I find warnings or actions taken by the FCC concerning GMRS?

N4KVE

Here is a recent one against a GMRS licensee - ouch!
FCC Upholds California Man
I think the OP was interested in reading about violations on GMRS freq's. Not GMRS operators who cause interference on real business band freq's. I'm sure there are thousands of casual users who have been using GMRS w/o a permit for years, who cause no interference to anybody & have never received an FCC notification. While this is still illegal, if they don't cause interference, the FCC has bigger fish to fry.

k3td

I'm sure you're right about the original request Gary. And my example proves your point - the easiest way to attract attention from the FCC is to cause harmful interference to another licensed operator. Absent that, the FCC doesn't have much time to go looking for unreported trouble.

Slightly off topic, but after reading through many of the citations in the past year, why the hell are there so many pirate radio stations in south Florida!?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

N4KVE

I've noticed that too, & it seems most of the offenders are Haitian. Because there are so many Haitians here, they want to play their country's music locally in their neighborhoods. License, what license. They think because they get away with it back home, they can do it here.

That makes sense. Judging by the citations, unless you're a big corporation, broadcasting on FM or interrupting another station would be about the only way the FCC would notice you.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin

N4KVE

That's exactly what happens. Just the other night when driving home, I'm listening to a legit FM station when suddenly I'm hearing Haitian music for 3 blocks. Then it's back to the legit station. I've read in the local paper that because people can't hear the station they're tuned to, they call the FCC to complain. The FCC tracks the illegal music, & leaves a friendly note to cease & desist, but I guess they don't read, because the music continues. Before you know it, a $20,000 fine.

petey_racer

Premium Subscriber
I think the OP was interested in reading about violations on GMRS freq's. Not GMRS operators who cause interference on real business band freq's. I'm sure there are thousands of casual users who have been using GMRS w/o a permit for years, who cause no interference to anybody & have never received an FCC notification. While this is still illegal, if they don't cause interference, the FCC has bigger fish to fry.
Exactly.
I think unlicensed GMRS usage is pretty far down on the FCC's hit list. Unless of course it is a big corporation they can get some cash from.

Bazel

Exactly.
I think unlicensed GMRS usage is pretty far down on the FCC's hit list. Unless of course it is a big corporation they can get some cash from.

Most enforcement fines don't go to the agency that does the citing, but to a government general fund. I'm not sure if this is true for the FCC, but I know all the local police agencies work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.