FCC NPRM MD Docket No. 20-270 changing FCC fee structure, including Amateur Radio. $50 for new licenses and renewals and Vanity License Applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

Its all about where you want to spend your hard earned money.

Yeah, I get that. It's when money's tight then it's a bit more of a concern though, I guess. For example, consider someone on a students' budget (especially if they're studying electronics and want to get practical exposure via ham radio), or a retiree on a fixed income.

reedeb

IF the money was to be used by FCC for enforcement fine. BUT it goes in the kitty and used for other stuff. They get enough of our money as it is

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
IF the money was to be used by FCC for enforcement fine. BUT it goes in the kitty and used for other stuff. They get enough of our money as it is
Actually the FCC does not keep even one thin dime from the 'fees' collected. They are returned to the government's General Fund.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The more I read this thread, the more I realize that this new fee from the FCC is going to be a wonderful thing.

-It's going to flush out many of the hams that love to do nothing other than complain. That should ease some of the reasons why I avoid repeaters. Maybe if $50 doesn't flush them all out, we can ask the FCC to increase it?

WB9YBM

-It's going to flush out many of the hams that love to do nothing other than complain. That should ease some of the reasons why I avoid repeaters. Maybe if $50 doesn't flush them all out, we can ask the FCC to increase it?

It must be nice being rich! :)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The FCC NPRM has been published in the Federal Register as of today:

Note that paragraph 44 under Ordering Clauses (p. 36) states:
Sections 1.1102, 1.1103, 1.1104, 1.1105, 1.1106, 1.1107, and 1.1109 will not take effect until the requisite notice has been provided to Congress, the FCC’s information technology systems and internal procedures have been updated, and the Commission publishes notice(s) in the Federal Register announcing the effective date of such rules.

The amateur radio license fees are in Section 1.1102.

So, we still don't have an implementation date. The FCC will make an announcement sometime in the future as to when the new fees go into effect.

k6cpo

The FCC NPRM has been published in the Federal Register as of today:

Note that paragraph 44 under Ordering Clauses (p. 36) states:

The amateur radio license fees are in Section 1.1102.

So, we still don't have an implementation date. The FCC will make an announcement sometime in the future as to when the new fees go into effect.

That phrase was written into the original Report and Order that was released back in December. As far as I can tell the infrastructure for fee payment is already in place. This publication in the Federal Register should be the activation of the fees as of April 19, 2019.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I don't mind paying a $50 fee every 10 yrs for a renewal. A small price to pay for tons of fun. But, I think for that $50 they should send you an original print on the old-style blended beige paper that is suitable for framing. Those looked nice. I still have my original 1st license in a nice driftwood frame on a wall in my shack. I don't think that's asking too much of the FCC. Right?

WB9YBM

I don't mind paying a $50 fee every 10 yrs for a renewal. A small price to pay for tons of fun. But, I think for that $50 they should send you an original print on the old-style blended beige paper that is suitable for framing. Those looked nice. I still have my original 1st license in a nice driftwood frame on a wall in my shack. I don't think that's asking too much of the FCC. Right?

I see your point, and mostly agree with you. Just to play "Devils' Advocate", though, it could be mentioned that with all of the taxes, fees, & etc. that the government's already taking out of our pockets we're under enough "financial distress" as-is! (especially by those of us who do not earn a bazillion dollars an hour!:))

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I don't mind paying a $50 fee every 10 yrs for a renewal.
Thirty five dollars:
The FCC has agreed with ARRL and other commenters that its proposed $50 fee for certain amateur radio applications was “too high to account for the minimal staff involvement in these applications.” In a Report and Order (R&O), released on December 29, the FCC scaled back to $35 the fee for a new license application...

Status
Not open for further replies.