NEW YORK CITY POLICE DEPARTMENT Request for Waiver of the T-Band Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Cheaper bid process most likely being government, meeting their specifications they wanted and at lower bid for x amount.

Danny37

Exactly, NYPD is on an analog conventional frequencies. Most of Motorola's PS teir radios were P25/trunking an expensive feature PD didn't need. Plus given the fact that vertex is just cheaper in general and makes solid analog PS radios.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Well yes. But that is only recently and they have used Vertex for years now. Why vertex radios compared to Motorola?
I think the top mounted display requirement won Vertex the bid . The Motorola SSE5500 was designed to meet that requirement.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

K2NEC

But does cheaper mean better? Not always. I do personally like the top display though.

What is an SSE5500?

RFI-EMI-GUY

But does cheaper mean better? Not always. I do personally like the top display though.

What is an SSE5500?

It was a special radio styled like the SABER with a display on top. A rare beast meant only for NYC.

Danny37

Didn't Moto make a SABER just for the NYPD at one point?

Yea that's the SSE5000 which is an xts5000 in a saber body.

Personally I love top display radios, they're so convenient as you can just look down and control your radio without having to pull it out and face the front. I could never get rid of my vertex vx-800 because of it.

K2NEC

How did this thread become a who had what radio discussion--Once again another derailment of a Post

It was mentioned that the NYPD use the VX800 and a member just said that he liked the radio. Calm down
And the SSE5500 was.. you guessed it... an NYPD radio.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
In my opinion T band public safety should have been protected from the auctions. The cost and complexity of changing systems in the major metro areas is very high. Taxpayers end up footing the bill. 700 MHz isn't a panacea.

I hope that is true, there isn't enough spectrum in the 700 to make up for the 42mhz of T-Band. Schumer is in the press again pushing to negate the portion of the Tax Relief Act that requires the giveback, but one thing not included because it was never part of the act was the business users on those T-Band channels. It was never addressed what they would do with those users if there was a giveback. So I doubt that the Telco's would want a mish mash of frequencies in that block, and I am sure the FCC and the Telco's would not move business users somewhere else. If that happened it would be a unheard precedent, and would probably result in some lawsuits.

Quote"
A LE organization as big as NYPD.... and they still *possibly* will be affected by the giveback. Can’t imagine the costs it would be to get them off of their current setup....

No not really since NYC sent about 200 lawyers down to Congress to get channels 16 and 17 to add to the already channels 14 and 15 they had after 911. NYC will just do the same thing again and get that portion of the Tax Relief Act negated, which will open the flood gates for all other P.S. to get the same. Which they did the first time around, and the Chief of Communications for NYPD basically said in an interview some years back "What are they going to do take our radios away!"
If Congress were to look at this economically it's cheaper to just let everyone on T-Band stay there, but again look how much money has been thrown at First Net and how little of it actually works.

P.S. BTW the SSE 5000was a knee jerk reaction the loss of a NYPD bid to Vertex. If you want more on this search my posts I give the whole blow by blow that happened. There are less than 50 of them in existence, and from what I have heard most are now used by Aux PD units.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
but again look how much money has been thrown at First Net and how little of it actually works.

What exactly is the issue with FirstNet that you're referring to in this statement?

When you strip away all the hype, FirstNet is nothing more than AT&T adding LTE capability to their existing network in the 10 MHz chunk known as Band 14 (758-768 MHz), which public safety will have priority and preemption on, not exclusive use of. Consumers on AT&T's network will also benefit from the buildout in Band 14, however will obviously not have any of the priority and preemption capability that authorized public safety users will.

So with that being said, and given that Verizon already has a very successful 700 MHz LTE network operating in neighboring Band 13...please explain how you've already concluded just "how little of it actually works". :confused:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
At this point lets get back to the topic of T-Band and NYPD. You want to debate First Net start another thread.

So instead of giving some examples to back up your dubious claim, you're just going to pretend like you're not the one who brought it up in the first place. :roll:

K2NEC

So instead of giving some examples to back up your dubious claim, you're just going to pretend like you're not the one who brought it up in the first place. :roll:

Well someone already got pissy for getting off topic on a thread I don't think he wants to start that again

ipfd320

Banned
Dude keep the Bulls**t Comments to Yourself--what i wrote about the thread was 100% on Point on it going off track

And GTR had every Right in what he said also--if you have a problem with that then dont answer easy

NParkNJ

On the Road
Dude what is with that comment. Ok it may be off-topic. But no need for the fruitful words.

I got your back K2NEC, pay no attention to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Hey it wouldn't be a normal day on RR if we didn't derail half the threads! :lol:

K2NEC

Dude keep the Bulls**t Comments to Yourself--what i wrote about the thread was 100% on Point on it going off track

And GTR had every Right in what he said also--if you have a problem with that then dont answer easy

Just because it was "on point" doesn't give you the right to start harassing people. Last I checked people can talk about a topic on a thread as much as they want as long as it pertained to the topic. Also last I checked you aren't a mod so you have no authority to change anything if you don't like it.

So next time if you have nothing nice to say kindly don't say it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.