• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FCC questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long time 2 way dealer friend says mobile only stations don't need to give call signs. I can't find
that rule.
90.425a3 says
" Further, a single mobile unit in the licensee's authorized geographic area of operation may
transmit station identification on behalf of any other operating mobile units in the fleet."

It looks like a nation wide licensee would be able to ID anywhere in the US
to cover all locations, not much help when trying to track down a co-channel user locally.

My friend also said no IB feqs need a license if they are under 2 watts. I can't find that rule either.
The Motorola CLS series user manual says a license is required and that radio is 1 watt.

D

DaveNF2G

Your friend probably hasn't read the regs lately. Maybe even never. There is a lot of "word of mouth" misunderstanding of FCC rules floating around.

teufler

I don't hear the local public service mobiles id. The base does but I have never heard the mobiles. I doubt the mobiles even know what the base license is. I wish amateur mobiles could have an id sent out every 10 minutes or what ever time you set, or when you hang the mic back up, it triggers your id.

ecps92

I'm wondering if the old clause that allowed LE to run Low-Power (2 watts or less) on a secondary non-interfering use without a license, generally used for Surv Ops, where they might regularly change freqs is what he was referencing.

My local PD altho UHF shared an old 155.xxxx with a major city where the nearest licensee was in another state [1980/1990s] Portables Only

A long time 2 way dealer friend says mobile only stations don't need to give call signs. I can't find
that rule.
90.425a3 says
" Further, a single mobile unit in the licensee's authorized geographic area of operation may
transmit station identification on behalf of any other operating mobile units in the fleet."

It looks like a nation wide licensee would be able to ID anywhere in the US
to cover all locations, not much help when trying to track down a co-channel user locally.

My friend also said no IB feqs need a license if they are under 2 watts. I can't find that rule either.
The Motorola CLS series user manual says a license is required and that radio is 1 watt.

>>I'm wondering if the old clause that allowed LE to run Low-Power (2 watts or less) on a secondary non-interfering use without a license

I bet that's is, it's still in there as limitation 93 under the public safety pool.

I got a call from the FCC in response to my question about 90.425a3, he's looking into it but his first
impression was that it's a loophole he wasn't aware of.

ecps92

Glad to help out a fellow GS0391 :D
>>I'm wondering if the old clause that allowed LE to run Low-Power (2 watts or less) on a secondary non-interfering use without a license

I bet that's is, it's still in there as limitation 93 under the public safety pool.

I got a call from the FCC in response to my question about 90.425a3, he's looking into it but his first
impression was that it's a loophole he wasn't aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.