• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FDNY radio tone out

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
You all are being so rude. I'm just trying to learn and you guys are pretty much forcing me to stop. You say I shouldn't be messing with stuff like that, but I have the proper permission.

So you're saying you don't want your radio to TRANSMIT any tones, but you want to hear them when they're present in a signal you are listening to? That's fine. But take this advice: Don't program your radio to transmit any tones or signalling sequence that aren't NEEDED for a legitimate purpose. And only on frequencies you are licensed to transmit on.

You can listen to whatever you want. How you get the radio programmed to listen to certain systems is a separate topic, or several.

Yes, I want a certain tone that is transmitted with a signal I am listening to. I am not licensed or allowed to transmit on FDNY frequencies but I want to hear the tone.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
If what others are saying is true and it’s a tone from the console then you can’t duplicate that as it isn’t being generated within the radio.

But numerous models of scanners will let you assign a cool sound to a frequency or TG so when it receives it that sound will play.

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
You have no control over the signals you receive other than to pick what frequency you are listening to. If that alert tone isn't being transmitted, there's nothing you can do about it. Why even ask?

Or are you still not being clear enough about your desires? You're NOT looking to TRANSMIT a tone. That much seems fairly clear.

Do you want the radio to GENERATE a tone for you to hear when the radio is receiving a certain signal? An alerting tone? Like the radio starts beeping when it hears a 1050 Hz alerting tone from the National Weather Service on the local NOAA weather radio frequency?

It's possible for the radio to generate alerting tones based on received single tone, dual tone, (quick call), and MDC messages.

But you have to know the tone/signal sequence for that to work.

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
He doesn’t “have” it, he is listening to the channel and said tones are being played on the channel. Nothing more, nothing less. Those tones you hear 30 seconds in can be heard on a scanner.

Edit: Sorry Kevin, we posted at the same time
Well why can’t I hear it

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
Post your codeplug and maybe one of the smart people here will take a look at it.

ElroyJetson

It's probably just not being transmitted by your local FD. Not every FD uses the same signalling protocols as NYFD, you do realize that, right?

My local FD doesn't use any form of tone or digital signalling other than the initial page-out to the stations.

What FD are you listening to? State, county, city....?

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
Post your codeplug and maybe one of the smart people here will take a look at it.
Are you meaning to say that I’m not smart? And besides, I thought the rules of RR was that you can’t share code plugs? Or is that just software?

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
It's probably just not being transmitted by your local FD. Not every FD uses the same signalling protocols as NYFD, you do realize that, right?

My local FD doesn't use any form of tone or digital signalling other than the initial page-out to the stations.
I’m talking abt FDNY

JackRoberts23

Was Justin Schmidt
Oh. I thought they had a rule stating no mention of obtaining a software or code plug is allowed? Either way, I will hopefully post it shortly

ElroyJetson

I’m talking abt FDNY
So, come out and say it. "I am within reception range of FDNY. I can hear them on my radio. But I am not hearing their tones that I believe they transmit."

Can you be that clear about your situation and what you want to do, for the first time in this conversation? Getting real information out of you is so difficult, it's like you're being asked to testify before Congress!!!!

You haven't even bothered to say what kind of radio you have!!!

We can't read your mind. So GIVE INFORMATION TO US. IT WILL HELP.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I already explained this to you, but you're not grasping the concept. FDNY does not tone out. Period.

The tone you are referring to is a simple 1 kHz tone generated by the console as an attention grabber when they announce 10-75's, all hands, and multiple alarms. It's a short duration tone and is not intended to cause anything to alert.

Whatever you're trying to do with your radio to "know when a new call goes out" doesn't make sense for two reasons: 1) the alert tone is not long enough for the radio to decode as a single tone and 2) as already stated, it's not transmitted when each new run is announced over the air

That's the bottom line, and while I know this is the Motorola forum so we'll have users from all over the place unfamiliar with what you're actually asking about, I'm telling you all of this as a native NY'er who has been listening to the FDNY (not "NYFD") for decades. Listening right now, in fact.

KevinC

The big K
Super Moderator
I already explained this to you, but you're not grasping the concept. FDNY does not tone out. Period.

The tone you are referring to is a simple 1 kHz tone generated by the console as an attention grabber when they announce 10-75's, all hands, and multiple alarms. It's a short duration tone and is not intended to cause anything to alert.

Whatever you're trying to do with your radio to "know when a new call goes out" doesn't make sense for two reasons: 1) the alert tone is not long enough for the radio to decode as a single tone and 2) as already stated, it's not transmitted when each new run is announced over the air

That's the bottom line, and while I know this is the Motorola forum so we'll have users from all over the place unfamiliar with what you're actually asking about, I'm telling you all of this as a native NY'er who has been listening to the FDNY (not "NYFD") for decades. Listening right now, in fact.
So you can’t hear the tone either?

Status
Not open for further replies.