Federal NAC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Since this is surveillance related I think further discussion about this frequency/NAC combination should stop.

SCPD

QRT
I've been coming across information in the last year that indicates NAC's, like talkgroups, can be programmed in hex, e.g. 4DE AND in decimal. Decimal appears to be much easier to remember. So for the USFS, NIFC type radios they can be programmed with a CTCSS tone of, for example 110.9, but if used digitally the same repeater can be brought up in a digital mode with a NAC of 1109. A CTCSS tone of 123.0 has a digital NAC equivalent of 1230 and so forth down the list of standard 16 tones for these entities. MY PSR-500/600 models will not accept digital, but it would be nice if they did. For both talkgroups and NAC's the digital entry is a lot easier to deal with. Is anyone else aware of this?

Last edited:

ecps92

But from a Scanner perspective it is one and the same. And scanners tend to use the Common Hex, I think all of "M"otorola use the HEX, but there are others as the 205's seem to indicate as they get used, who use the Decimal format

if my math is correct
$156 is 0342
$653 is 1619
$293 is 0659

Hence on the ICS 205 or other supporting documents we use the $ to denote the most Common which is the HEX and the use of the 4 digit for Decimal

Similar to the 167.9 (always use the decimal point, even with 67.0 or 100.0) and the use of DCS where the D-065 or D092 (D and dash or D###) was for DPL/DCS

I've been coming across information in the last year that indicates NAC's, like talkgroups, can be programmed in hex, e.g. 4DE AND in decimal. Decimal appears to be much easier to remember. So for the USFS, NIFC type radios they can be programmed with a CTCSS tone of, for example 110.9, but if used digitally the same repeater can be brought up in a digital mode with a NAC of 1109. A CTCSS tone of 123.0 has a digital NAC equivalent of 1230 and so forth down the list of standard 16 tones for these entities. MY PSR-500/600 models will not accept digital, but it would be nice if they did. For both talkgroups and NAC's the digital entry is a lot easier to deal with. Is anyone else aware of this?

SCPD

QRT
But from a Scanner perspective it is one and the same. And scanners tend to use the Common Hex, I think all of "M"otorola use the HEX, but there are others as the 205's seem to indicate as they get used, who use the Decimal format

if my math is correct
$156 is 0342
$653 is 1619
$293 is 0659

Hence on the ICS 205 or other supporting documents we use the $ to denote the most Common which is the HEX and the use of the 4 digit for Decimal

Similar to the 167.9 (always use the decimal point, even with 67.0 or 100.0) and the use of DCS where the D-065 or D092 (D and dash or D###) was for DPL/DCS

I don't understand your reply. I don't know what math you are using to show the conversions. What is the end product of the conversions you are showing. For example $156 = 0342, what is 0342, a DCS or a NAC digital? Also that conversion appears to be the opposite of what I'm talking about, which is converting a CTCSS tone into a decimal NAC. Your three conversions start with a hex NAC.

I also know that the CTCSS to hex NAC conversion used by NIFC and related agencies was prescribed by a standard conversion table the FCC proposed many years ago, but was not carried through to make it a requirement. As a result an agency could take a CTCSS tone, lets say 107.2 and use many different NAC's in its place. The NIFC/natural resource agencies as well as many fire agencies decided to use the proposed table anyway. So my understanding is there isn't a set mathematical relationship between the analog CTCSS and the hex NAC.

In the last two years, especially this year, I'm seeing quite a few channel plans that show repeater access tones where a CTCSS tone, of lets say 192.8 (NIFC Tone 16) having a digital NAC equivalent of 1928. The primary radio in use is the Bendix-King. I don't recall if any Motorola models are on NIFC's list of radios approved for use on wildland fires. Even the National Park Service, which utilizes digital more than any of the other land management agencies, provide BK radios for their fire personnel. In any case the BK can use the digital NAC.

The new national standard tone chart for the USFS and NIFC, which I've shown in the wiki pages of the National Incident Radio Support Cache, shows the CTCSS tone first, followed by the digital NAC and then the hex NAC. For those of us who have used the CTCSS tones for a lot of years and are familiar with the numbers it is much easier to remember that Tone 4, 136.5, is 1365 when using the digital mode of a radio system.

ecps92

Two different worlds exist, Forestry (NIFC) and the rest of the Federal Users.

$156 for a NAC is the Same as 0342 for a NAC
One is Hex the other is Decimal

These are not the same as the PL to P25 Conversions that some agencies have used, which there are also two versions. Forestry (NIFC) vs the rest of the Federal Agencies.

I don't understand your reply. I don't know what math you are using to show the conversions. What is the end product of the conversions you are showing. For example $156 = 0342, what is 0342, a DCS or a NAC digital? Also that conversion appears to be the opposite of what I'm talking about, which is converting a CTCSS tone into a decimal NAC. Your three conversions start with a hex NAC.

I also know that the CTCSS to hex NAC conversion used by NIFC and related agencies was prescribed by a standard conversion table the FCC proposed many years ago, but was not carried through to make it a requirement. As a result an agency could take a CTCSS tone, lets say 107.2 and use many different NAC's in its place. The NIFC/natural resource agencies as well as many fire agencies decided to use the proposed table anyway. So my understanding is there isn't a set mathematical relationship between the analog CTCSS and the hex NAC.

In the last two years, especially this year, I'm seeing quite a few channel plans that show repeater access tones where a CTCSS tone, of lets say 192.8 (NIFC Tone 16) having a digital NAC equivalent of 1928. The primary radio in use is the Bendix-King. I don't recall if any Motorola models are on NIFC's list of radios approved for use on wildland fires. Even the National Park Service, which utilizes digital more than any of the other land management agencies, provide BK radios for their fire personnel. In any case the BK can use the digital NAC.

The new national standard tone chart for the USFS and NIFC, which I've shown in the wiki pages of the National Incident Radio Support Cache, shows the CTCSS tone first, followed by the digital NAC and then the hex NAC. For those of us who have used the CTCSS tones for a lot of years and are familiar with the numbers it is much easier to remember that Tone 4, 136.5, is 1365 when using the digital mode of a radio system.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Listening to TSA at RDU airport this afternoon first time I've heard them good and in the clear on 172.150, NAC of 001.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Listening to TSA at RDU airport this afternoon first time I've heard them good and in the clear on 172.150, NAC of 001.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
Yes 001 and 002 Are common Nac's for the TSA. :wink: 73, n9zas

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Doing a little searching this afternoon and came across two active encrypted freqs in the Downtown Raleigh area:

165.375 NAC 001
170.750 NAC 293

Traffic on both freqs stopped by 6pm. Anyone have any clue as to who it might be?

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Doing a little searching this afternoon and came across two active encrypted freqs in the Downtown Raleigh area:

165.375 NAC 001
170.750 NAC 293

Traffic on both freqs stopped by 6pm. Anyone have any clue as to who it might be?

165.375 is Secret Service "Charlie"
170.750 is Federal Courts

Edit: That's strange, I just replied to the post and there were two posts above me after I hit Post.

Status
Not open for further replies.