Feds on RT7

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Over the past 2 weeks I have noticed more Fed vehicles on RT7 in Loudoun near Round Hill. The Crown Vic I first saw right after the Round Hill exit on RT West. I moved over and let him get by me (first thought it was a deputy). I ended up following him all the way into WV on Rt340 (not on purpose). I made good time getting home that day. :)

The van was going west on RT near Round Hill as well. When he first passed me, I was able to see a GPS unit and laptop mounted in the passenger side. I think the driver saw me taking pictures; he slowed down a lot and moved over for me to pass him. I thought he'd turn on top of Mt. Weather but he continued west on RT7 through Clarke Co.

I do see the regular motor pool cars for other fed agencies, but these 2 were a little different.

Also, last night on I81S, I saw a DHS plate on a van with a dog kennel on the back seat with a Frederick Co. VA K9 unit behind him. I figured this was due to Apple Blossom in Winchester.

Last edited:

JESSERABBIT

When I worked in Loudoun, I noticed sedans as mentioned going north on 340 on a smi-regular basis. I always turned off onto old Rt 340 going into town. One time three passed me going like a bat out of you know where. My thought was that they were either going to the new facility on Rt 340 prior to Harper's Ferry or to the Ford Dealership in Charles Town for service. If memory serves me correctly, I've seen similiar vehicles parked beside the dealership.

rfburns

I've seen the van on Rt 50 around 340. It has both VHF and UHF RDF antennas (as seen in the photo). The RDF antennas may drive the laptop display in conjunction with the GPS. Which agency has GSA "62" plates?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
rfburns said:
I've seen the van on Rt 50 around 340. It has both VHF and UHF RDF antennas (as seen in the photo). The RDF antennas may drive the laptop display in conjunction with the GPS. Which agency has GSA "62" plates?

General Services Agency. Could be anyone since they are the ones that buy the vehicles; just a fleet vehicle.

I remember about 2 years ago seeing a van with a trailer like this at RT7 and RT340. The trailer had a segment of a tower.

http://www.clothmonkey.com/plates.htm

Last edited:

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
freqhopping said:
One I saw yesterday on the way back from Summit Pt was a black SUV with gold stripes and badge on the side.

Right about the Clarke Co. and Jefferson Co. line, I sometimes pass (going the other direction toward RT340) I pass a dark blue Suburban.

Is there something in or around Round Hill or maybe Purceville?

rfburns

Somewhere over time the use of the two digits changed (or the table printed in RCMA many years ago wasn't correct). Now the two digits represent the class of vehicle. That's suppose to make it easier for LEO's to figure out if the plate has been stolen and put on a non-government vehicle. "62" is a light truck, 4 X 4, 6000-8499 GVWR. Not all government plates are in a database that can be queried by LE. The vehicle I use to drive was like that. LEO's would run the plate and it it would always come back as no record found. That was good for a laugh.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
On Thursday or Wednesday, I saw the Crown Vic again. The plates started with G14. I think he wasn't paying attention to where he was and missed the turn he's taken in the past due to other cars in the right lane.

I wonder if he's going to work or coming home from work.

ecps92

General Service Administration (GSA) Prefix Codes

G11 - Sedan - intermediate / subcompact
G12 - Sedan - compact
G14 - Sedan - standard regular
G21 - Station wagon - subcompact / compact
G23 - Station wagon - standard regular
G31 - Ambulance, bus
G41 - Truck - cargo 1/2 ton and under (4x2)
G42 - Truck - cargo 3/4 ton (4x2)
G43 - Truck - cargo 1 ton (4x2)
G61 - Truck - cargo 1/2 ton and under (4x4)
G62 - Truck - cargo 3/4 ton (4x4)
G63 - Truck - cargo 1 ton (4x4)
G71 - Truck - cargo 12,500 - 23,999 GVW
G81 - Truck - cargo 24,000 GVW gasoline
G82 - Truck - cargo 24,000 GVW diesel
G91 - Truck, trailer, semi-trailer (special purpose vehicle)

as to the No Record, not everyone knows how to run these thru NLETS, most only check in-state, hence the No Record :)

rfburns said:
Somewhere over time the use of the two digits changed (or the table printed in RCMA many years ago wasn't correct). Now the two digits represent the class of vehicle. That's suppose to make it easier for LEO's to figure out if the plate has been stolen and put on a non-government vehicle. "62" is a light truck, 4 X 4, 6000-8499 GVWR. Not all government plates are in a database that can be queried by LE. The vehicle I use to drive was like that. LEO's would run the plate and it it would always come back as no record found. That was good for a laugh.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ecps92 said:
General Service Administration (GSA) Prefix Codes

G11 - Sedan - intermediate / subcompact
G12 - Sedan - compact
G14 - Sedan - standard regular
G21 - Station wagon - subcompact / compact
G23 - Station wagon - standard regular
G31 - Ambulance, bus
G41 - Truck - cargo 1/2 ton and under (4x2)
G42 - Truck - cargo 3/4 ton (4x2)
G43 - Truck - cargo 1 ton (4x2)
G61 - Truck - cargo 1/2 ton and under (4x4)
G62 - Truck - cargo 3/4 ton (4x4)
G63 - Truck - cargo 1 ton (4x4)
G71 - Truck - cargo 12,500 - 23,999 GVW
G81 - Truck - cargo 24,000 GVW gasoline
G82 - Truck - cargo 24,000 GVW diesel
G91 - Truck, trailer, semi-trailer (special purpose vehicle)

as to the No Record, not everyone knows how to run these thru NLETS, most only check in-state, hence the No Record :)

see my post for the below link:
http://www.clothmonkey.com/plates.htm

md_p97

For what it's worth, and only because its in the general direction...there are some fed's that go to Drivers Training at the race tracks at Summit Point...(just west of Charles Town).

There are two and now possibly three driver training tracks...the main training track is in the rear and has a skid pan. Then there's the main road course track, and I think they might have a third on the northwestern side.

I was there over mem day weekend for the cycle races and they have built a whole new bunch of garages there.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Paul

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
md_p97 said:
For what it's worth, and only because its in the general direction...there are some fed's that go to Drivers Training at the race tracks at Summit Point...(just west of Charles Town).

There are two and now possibly three driver training tracks...the main training track is in the rear and has a skid pan. Then there's the main road course track, and I think they might have a third on the northwestern side.

I was there over mem day weekend for the cycle races and they have built a whole new bunch of garages there.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/

http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/

Paul

Thanks for the info. Pretty cool websites. Yeah, I was aware of the race track and Fed training. I actually think I've seen a few of them on their way back from there right about Summit Point Road in Jefferson Co.

See this post:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72329&highlight=summit

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.