• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Field Programming F4021

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiumrock

Hello everyone... need some help.

I'm with a military reenactment group and a couple of us are looking at getting some higher quality radios. Most people use your basic Midland, Moto, Cobra etc type of consumer 2 way running on GMRS/FRS. No one uses flat channels. Most people reenacting are using channels like: 21-31 or 15-17 etc.

I was told by a retailer that the F4021 UHF model would be compatible to the types of radios and that the channels could be changed in the field to match the channels that other Midland, Moto etc radios are using.

1. Is this accurate?
2. Do I need the computer programming software?

The retailer told me that they would activate the field programming option but would not program anything specific on their end. They are also sending a waiver stating that they are not programming anything and that they don't have tech support... meaning I am on my own.

I'd love some input and insight from some experts.

Thanks everyone.

gmrsoutlet

I don't understand why you would need the radio in "field programming mode" if you are going to use it for GMRS you can program all of the GMRS channels before hand.

Field programming mode is generally something that should not be activated anyway. Just program what you need before you go.

radiumrock

Got it. So I should call the retailer back and ask for the radios to be programmed for GMRS channels.

gmrsoutlet

They may want you to provide the frequencies and PL tones to them. Not all dealers out there know what the GMRS Frequencies are.

radiumrock

Ok. So the radios have been programmed for channels 1-22 covering GMRS.

Since week by week people we work with use different PL/CTCSS channels the programmer decided to leave the PL code at zero. He said that the F4021 has the option to change the PL using the keypad on the radio.

Problem is... they didn't tell us how to do that.

Any help?

gmrsoutlet

You can "pre-program" 9 selectable PL tones, which can be accessed from a Feature Button.

Ask them where they put the "C.Tone CH Ent" Feature (which button), and what the pre-selectable PL tones are (if any).

radiumrock

Sorry. It just doesn't make sense to me what the retailer is saying. I asked and their reply was, "you asked for the field programming option to be activated on the device so you could change between CTCSS codes in the field without having to use a computer and that is what we did. We offer no tech support and cannot help you.

I just want to be able to switch between PL codes 1-38 at a moments notice and they told me this was one of the radios that could do that. And now all I have is a radio that is running GMRS 1-22 with a flat PL code.

http://www.discounttwo-wayradio.com/F3021-F4021?sc=30&category=3593

It was activated...

Last edited:

RADIOGUY2002

Wow

So, what we need to see is the physical setup of your radio. The only way to do that is to clone read it via cable and software. As gmrsoutlet put it it should be one of the keys or the FPP the radio from the start which is a whole another thing all together. Any dealer can reprogram it for you but the prices very and you can buy the cable and the software yourself if your interseted. GMRSOUTLET and I both sell it, the choice is yours. I know exactily what they did. PM me

Status
Not open for further replies.