• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Firmware R31 Removed

aglowgibbon

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know why firmware R31 was removed from MOL? I haven't seen anything put out by MSI about using it or issues. CPS R31 is still there, but the latest firmware I see is R30.04

aglowgibbon

Premium Subscriber
MTN-0149A-23 says that APX radios may experience boot looping running this latest bug laden firmware. If a subscriber experiences this, the radio must be sent to the depot referencing the MTN. The fix is F/W 32 which should be out by 1/4/2024. So that is why it was yanked.
Is there any way to lookup an MTN? I just now subscribed to the emails, but I don't see a way to look them up retroactively.

DMS11B

Closet Nerd
Premium Subscriber
Anyone know why firmware R31 was removed from MOL? I haven't seen anything put out by MSI about using it or issues. CPS R31 is still there, but the latest firmware I see is R30.04
Moto has deemed the 31.00 and 31.02 failures due to bricking and boot cycling some radios. Supposedly Jan 4th they will release an "update".

PACNWDude

I remember a time when firmware would be extensively tested before sending it out to the customer base. These days they just let US do the beta testing.

:cautious:
So true, we are doing the test work for sure, every release and update.

Trbo is even worse than P25 too....can't use the Hex letter "F" in the Radio ID and the radio sends Hex ID's instead of decimal (have to flip them in Provisioning Manager for aliasing to be correct). Run a combined P25 Phase I/II network with many Trbo sites tied in as well.

I consider myself lucky, as none of our recently purchased P25 gear has a need for CPS 31. Newest APX6000/8000XE radios still used CPS 30.

aglowgibbon

Premium Subscriber
But but every f&$&&&stick NAS toucher needs the latest firmware in their radio!🤣
Only reason I updated to R31 was for the improvements to the XVE 500 and the conventional PTT. I actually use it in a work setting to monitor a P25 amateur repeater used for ARES/RACES. It helps me to know when I'm in range or not of the repeater.

PACNWDude

A little bummed today, asI found out a co-worker that was working on new APX6000XE radios used APX CPS version 31 to program about a hundred new radios for issue after the new year. Even mentioned that we had no need to go from V30 to v31......yet he did so anyway. Will be logging in to check for an update once back in the office....hopefully Motorola is on this quickly, but the radios are at least still under warranty. But, if one fails, it could still be a hassle.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
A little bummed today, asI found out a co-worker that was working on new APX6000XE radios used APX CPS version 31 to program about a hundred new radios for issue after the new year. Even mentioned that we had no need to go from V30 to v31......yet he did so anyway. Will be logging in to check for an update once back in the office....hopefully Motorola is on this quickly, but the radios are at least still under warranty. But, if one fails, it could still be a hassle.
CPS isn't the problem, the firmware is.

aglowgibbon

Premium Subscriber
Update put out today to tell us it will be another two weeks for the new firmware to drop. Unreal.
It's super frustrating, especially for agencies that keep their firmware up-to-date. It doesn't really make sense anymore to update to the latest unless theirs a fix or feature you absolutely have to have. I could only imagine going into a call, turning on my radio, and it won't boot.

Nilsog

It absolutely is. I wouldn't have ever bothered updating mine, but I was having an issue with QCII settings and also had the bug that prevented the intelligent lighting from working. Three days after I updated, the MTN came out. Now I don't dare turn the thing on, and they can't release a patched firmware for 3+ weeks from the first notification? I can't imagine the nightmare this must be for agencies that have hundreds or thousands of these radios in service.

Echo4Thirty

Premium Subscriber
The new firmware appears to have been delayed until 1/17/24

our current vetted version is 28.31 and will stay that way except for the few radios that got updated to 30/31... unfortunatly they will become guinea pigs for fw 32 upon release.