First responders get new emergency radio system

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Maritime provinces are get*ting a $100-million integrated emergency mobile radio system, the first partnership of its kind in Canada.

The upgraded voice and data system will replace aging tech*nology used by first responders such as police and fire depart*ments. And for the first time, it will link Nova Scotia, New Bruns*wick and Prince Edward Island.

The three provinces operate separate, incompatible emergency radio systems.

“When we talk about infra*structure, I know people often think of bridges and roads and buildings, but a sophisticated communications infrastructure is vitally important for emergency responders in the Maritime prov*inces," federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said Monday while in Halifax to announce Ottawa’s portion of the funding.

“This new system will save lives."

The federal government will contribute up to $50 million for the program, with the private sector and the provinces divvying up the rest.

Flaherty said it is the first pro*ject to be funded under the PPP Canada program. The federal initiative fosters public-private partnerships between govern*ments and industry.

Steve Graham, the deputy com*missioner of the RCMP in Atlantic Canada and the commanding officer for Nova Scotia, said the upgraded system will allow emer*gency personnel to “communicate across agencies and across bound*aries."

But Graham said it was too early to say if the RCMP will change its operations when one radio system can be used through*out the region.

Along with fire and police de*partments, the new system will also be used by emergency med*ical personnel, search and rescue groups, and federal and provincial agencies.

Transportation and Infra*structure Renewal Minister Bill Estabrooks said he expects the provincial part of the system to be upgraded soon.

“Hopefully, we’ll have a new and improved system up in the next number of months."

Doug Currie, P.E.I.’s attorney general, was also at the announce*ment.

I have heard about this, and it was posted elsewhere I think...does anyone know if they are starting to roll the system out with HPD members??

I heard them talking about new radio's one day this week, but I'm not sure if they just got new units to use, of if was part of the new system as mentioned above...I have noticed as well, that HPD Central TG has been motorboating more then normal for me, and it never seemed too in the past...mind you, I did recently upgrade the firmware in my 996t to 3.2, I hope thats not the cause of what I'm hearing :)

Anyone know anything about the new system, and hardware ?

hfxChris

Database Admin
I have heard about this, and it was posted elsewhere I think...does anyone know if they are starting to roll the system out with HPD members??

I heard them talking about new radio's one day this week, but I'm not sure if they just got new units to use, of if was part of the new system as mentioned above...I have noticed as well, that HPD Central TG has been motorboating more then normal for me, and it never seemed too in the past...mind you, I did recently upgrade the firmware in my 996t to 3.2, I hope thats not the cause of what I'm hearing :)

Anyone know anything about the new system, and hardware ?

Chances are the members just got new radios; this system won't even be in the testing phases for a couple of years I would imagine. The RFPs either just went out or will be going out soon (depending on the province), and it'll be a while before any hardware is put in place.

darrylcn

The HRP members mentioned above did get new radios for their bikes, they were testing them before heading out on the bikes this week, Wed or Thurs morning I think it was.

novascotian

Yes they are going ahead but doesnt look like it will be ready for quite a while. Some new towers are already up in Nova Scotia, just waiting for the radio equipment and links, with many more to come. I gather that things are not so advanced in NB and PEI but I am not there, unlike in NS where I can see the towers. Anything you see these days about radios being purchased has no direct connection to the new system except that most likely anything new bought will be capable of both the present 800 MHz and the future 700 MHz.

I will be amazed if the NS part of this comes on stream before 2013 and I am not sure I will be happy to see it, due to an expected rise in digital and encrypted signals, but it will be fun to figure it all out when it happens.

firemedic105

As of a few months ago, All work on the 700mhz system to link up all providers is DEAD. No go. we are back to using the Aliant based 800mhz system until 2015 minimum. This was all over the papers. It sucked..

hfxChris

Database Admin
However it gives people who don't own P25 capable scanners a bit of a reprieve.

And, the province seems committed to ensuring the now-standalone IMRS grid repeaters will remain functioning, by replacing repeaters and other equipment at the sites, as a result of the work that was done to prepare for the MRCI/TMR-2.

Status
Not open for further replies.