First Student Rochester

w2csx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
818
Reaction score
18
Location
Rochester,NY
First Student is transitioning to new radio system, eventually after all radios are changed over, you'll no longer hear them.
 

k2hz

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 7, 2011
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
1,975
Location
Rochester, NY
First Student is transitioning to new radio system, eventually after all radios are changed over, you'll no longer hear them.
This probably relates to the First Student "HALO" program.
Since it is a nationwide program, I think POC is the likely technology.
 

k2hz

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 7, 2011
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
1,975
Location
Rochester, NY
I just did a quick check - "Ridge", "BCSD" and "Bickford" are still on Flower City LTR.
 

k2hz

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 7, 2011
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
1,975
Location
Rochester, NY
From what I have read about the system, voice communications is probably going to be incidental with the main component on the bus a tablet with GPS and 4G LTE that provides route information, monitors on board mechnaical conditios and video, scans student IDs as they board, records driver log on and pre trip inspections etc....

There probably is some cellular voice capability for emergencies but it looks like communications will be primarily data and possibly text.

I don't know if First Student uses this device but it seem to have the same capabilities as their HALO system:
 

w2csx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
818
Reaction score
18
Location
Rochester,NY
I just did a quick check - "Ridge", "BCSD" and "Bickford" are still on Flower City LTR.
Yes you're correct, not all radios have swapped yet. I'm not sure when their contract is up for current system.
 

w2csx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
818
Reaction score
18
Location
Rochester,NY
Indeed it is POC and they'll be using TLK-150 mobile radios.
 
Last edited:

k2hz

Member
Database Admin
Joined
Feb 7, 2011
Messages
2,361
Reaction score
1,975
Location
Rochester, NY
Here in the Rochester area, Palmyra-Macedon CSD now uses Tyler Drive Tablets and still has the Mobiletech NXDN VHF radios in the buses.
 

w2csx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
818
Reaction score
18
Location
Rochester,NY
From what I have read about the system, voice communications is probably going to be incidental with the main component on the bus a tablet with GPS and 4G LTE that provides route information, monitors on board mechnaical conditios and video, scans student IDs as they board, records driver log on and pre trip inspections etc....

There probably is some cellular voice capability for emergencies but it looks like communications will be primarily data and possibly text.

I don't know if First Student uses this device but it seem to have the same capabilities as their HALO system:
First does have tablets, however not related to radios as they have had tablets for couple years. What I've been told, they basically do nothing
other and pre-checks and kiosk for punching in n out.
 

w2csx

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 6, 2009
Messages
818
Reaction score
18
Location
Rochester,NY
So found out more info, most all radios in Rochester NY have now been switched except some of the older buses.
As for First Student as a company wide, most locations will be switching if they haven't already, except some of the smaller locations
will not for now.
 

jmp883

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
607
Reaction score
130
Location
Northern NJ
IMG_0377.jpeg
I drive for First Student in northern NJ. This is the radio that is installed in our buses. We used to be on lo-band, these are 4G/LTE. The audio is excellent and the coverage is very good. The HALO tablets we use are only for our trip inspections, navigation, and route/stops maps.
 
Top