HP-2: Flashing Red Light.

Crank1

Premium Subscriber
I got another possible problem with my HP-2. The battery light is flashing red once a second. Does that mean I need new batteries or heavier than (5v 1000ma) power supply? That’s what I have now. Any suggestions on type of new rechargeable batteries?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I got another possible problem with my HP-2. The battery light is flashing red once a second. Does that mean I need new batteries or heavier than (5v 1000ma) power supply? That’s what I have now. Any suggestions on type of new rechargeable batteries?
That's signifying that at least one of the installed batteries is defective, not taking a charge.

Eneloops are good batteries, that last longer than some of the other brands available.

These Ladda batteries, available from Ikea, appear to be the same as the Eneloops, with a different name. I've had good results with these, as have many others here on RadioReference.

Amazon has the Eneloops, and a number of other brands. The EBL batteries have worked well for me, but not always for some other members. The 'charge' function of the HP-2 (as with most Uniden scanners) is not a 'smart charger, that can recognize good batteries, only charge them to the optimum capacity. For Uniden scanners, other than the SDS100 (which has a proprietary battery, not AA), charging is based solely on time, which is set by telling the scanner the capacity of the installed cells. That determines the amount of time the batteries will be charged, and has no ability to recognize a battery that is already charged. It will charge the preset time (based on the capacity you specified), then turn off. You'll get much better, and consistent, results using a 'smart charger' that can recognize how much charge (if any) a battery needs. These chargers also can spot a failing cell, and some models have a 'refresh' setting that in some cases can bring a cell back up to a usable condition. A 'smart' charger could recharge the batteries in your HP-2, and point out which cell(s) need replacement.

Crank1

Premium Subscriber
That's signifying that at least one of the installed batteries is defective, not taking a charge.

Eneloops are good batteries, that last longer than some of the other brands available.

These Ladda batteries, available from Ikea, appear to be the same as the Eneloops, with a different name. I've had good results with these, as have many others here on RadioReference.

Amazon has the Eneloops, and a number of other brands. The EBL batteries have worked well for me, but not always for some other members. The 'charge' function of the HP-2 (as with most Uniden scanners) is not a 'smart charger, that can recognize good batteries, only charge them to the optimum capacity. For Uniden scanners, other than the SDS100 (which has a proprietary battery, not AA), charging is based solely on time, which is set by telling the scanner the capacity of the installed cells. That determines the amount of time the batteries will be charged, and has no ability to recognize a battery that is already charged. It will charge the preset time (based on the capacity you specified), then turn off. You'll get much better, and consistent, results using a 'smart charger' that can recognize how much charge (if any) a battery needs. These chargers also can spot a failing cell, and some models have a 'refresh' setting that in some cases can bring a cell back up to a usable condition. A 'smart' charger could recharge the batteries in your HP-2, and point out which cell(s) need replacement.
Thanks much for the battery info. I’ll get some new ones and try that.
The power supply I’m using now is 5v 1000ma. I read somewhere I need a bit more current to charge. I got a usb to mini usb cable and plugged it in the iPhone 2000ma charger. The light is solid red now. I hope it will be green come morning. BTW the charger and HP-2 is nice and cool.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks much for the battery info. I’ll get some new ones and try that.
The power supply I’m using now is 5v 1000ma. I read somewhere I need a bit more current to charge. I got a usb to mini usb cable and plugged it in the iPhone 2000ma charger. The light is solid red now. I hope it will be green come morning. BTW the charger and HP-2 is nice and cool.
1000ma is more than sufficient for your HP-2.

The SDS100 scanners require something in the 1500 to 2000ma range (1.5 to 2.0 amps) to both scan & charge, but the HP-2 probably is perfectly content with something in the 500ma range, even if the batteries are being charged.

Crank1

Premium Subscriber
1000ma is more than sufficient for your HP-2.

The SDS100 scanners require something in the 1500 to 2000ma range (1.5 to 2.0 amps) to both scan & charge, but the HP-2 probably is perfectly content with something in the 500ma range, even if the batteries are being charged.
Oops. Good save. Thanks.
I just ordered new Eneloops batteries. I’ll give them a try.