Flexible version of Diamond D 777?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tezzyuk

Hi

Still learning and reading a lot and wonder if there exists a flexible version of the Diamond D 777 base antenna?

I'm only really interested in Airband and Mil Airband (so the D777 fits that description), but want to bumper mount a couple of them, one at each side on the back, of an SUV I have, as such the D777s 1.7m height is almost ideal.

Obviously the D 777 being fibre glass won't fit the bill but the same receiving ranges in something similar to a Watson 881 flexible antenna (flexibility of the Watson being the issue together with the 777s frequency range).

I realise that the D 777 has a ground plane element and will look to work something out for that.

Hopefully some of the experts here could point me straight at a suitable off the shelf unit as I have no interest in building my own unit as I've already got too many projects on the go.

Thanks

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
You might consider the Diamond D-220R mobile discone. It does not have the gain of the D777, but it is broadband and designed for mobile use. Also, you would not need a duplexer. There can't be much call for air band mobile antennas except on aircraft. I did some work on a glider radio a couple of years ago and the antenna was built into the tail.

Ubbe

Bumper mount at the back of an SUV will make the antennas totally worthless.
You will have much better reception with a roof mount of a 1/4 wave 125MHz whip,
or at least a magnet mount if you do not feel like drilling a hole in the roof.

You cannot have an antenna parallell to the car body and expect it to work properly.

/Ubbe

tezzyuk

Bumper mount at the back of an SUV will make the antennas totally worthless.
You will have much better reception with a roof mount of a 1/4 wave 125MHz whip,
or at least a magnet mount if you do not feel like drilling a hole in the roof.

You cannot have an antenna parallell to the car body and expect it to work properly.

/Ubbe

Has to be bumper mount, that's why the two.

tezzyuk

You might consider the Diamond D-220R mobile discone. It does not have the gain of the D777, but it is broadband and designed for mobile use. Also, you would not need a duplexer. There can't be much call for air band mobile antennas except on aircraft. I did some work on a glider radio a couple of years ago and the antenna was built into the tail.

Thanks but as it's going to be a bumper mount that wouldn't be suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.