Florida scanner laws

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
i understand its agaisnt the law. but hear me out so is jaywalking , not wearing a seat belt , littering , car stereo being to loud , car or truck being to low to the ground , feeding aligators . i could sit here all day and list things that are against the law but the police arent going to waste their time on it unless you are causing a scene or giving them a hard time. do you guys feel on this? there are alot of bull**** laws dont ever get enforced except once in a blue moon and those people were doing something to deserve it.

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I just returned from Pensacola Beach and i had no problem whatsoever. I think if you got stopped for speeding, reckless driving, etc then they might question it or even do the enforcing thing but i don't believed your going to get stopped for a scanner violation only. I traveled with 3 scanners to FLA. One was mounted in the truck with an antenna on top. How does a police officer/trooper know thats a scanner antenna? There are so many antennas now that look like other things. And some are hidden. So i strongly don't believe you will get stopped strictly for a scanner violation. Don't get stopped, obey traffic laws and don't draw attention to yourselves. I will never leave my scanners at home when i visit Florida. Too much milair to miss. By the way, my 796D in the truck had strictly milair freqs and stuff for Alabama programmed in. I could put Fla public safety stuff in it but basically when i get to the hotel my truck is parked the whole week unless i have to drive to eat out. I had no problem and won't stop doing what i do when i go on vacation. And i don't have a HAM license. This debate is really fruitless. Not drawing attention to yourself, no problem. Reckless, speeding, possible problems. I forgot one thing. Myself i have one to two antennas on my truck. An antenna farm on your vehicle, that falls under the drawing attention to yourself category. That could cause a problem. The old saying KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) comes to mind.

dic

A question for anyone and everyone on this board:

In all of our years of combined montioring, has ANYONE ever heard ANY TYPE of Law Enforcement transmission related to possession of a scanner?
If so, when and where?

Just curious.

Dic

P.S. When I was writing this post, I went back into my files to see if there was a State "Signal X" or 10 code for that offense.
10-54

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
muhockey86,

if you haven't gotten board of this thread yet, my best suggestion is to be wise and err on the side of caution and don't break the law.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
We here in the FL forum are going to get a great rep for letting threads go to crap.

Why don't we all just agree to disagree on the subject of scanner laws?

From now on, if someone asks to know what the law is, we'll kindly point them in the right direction, and leave the interpretation and enforcement of the law up to them and the officers of law.
sbkeith said:
The bottom line is: The Florida Statutes clearly state that possession of scanners/radios in vehicles is a violation of law without an amateur HAM license.

The Law Itself

Have a good day everyone. :)

EDIT: Updated link to show correct law.

Last edited:

dic

UFEMETFF

Referring this post, I think we have a great discussion and debate of our diverse ,experienced and well stated opinions about the Florida Scanner Law, which affects us all.

Anyone who reads this board knows to which post (that "went to crap") you are referring.
How does that post and its (unfortunate junior-high-school mentality) respones apply to our discussion?

Respectfully yours, Sir,

Dic

STiMULi

dic said:
Anyone who reads this board knows to which post (that "went to crap") you are referring.

This one? :)

n4voxgill said:
I'm sure if something happens and you are fined, and/or your scanner is confiscated that pinellas fire will pay the fine and buy you a new scanner.

pinellasfirefighter

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Look dic and I came up with something if anybody in this room gets a fine for having a scanner or its siezed here in Florida with proof (such as the police report or ticket)we will pay the fine or replace the scanner. With this being said you cant be be chasing emergency apparatus or impersonating a police officer. I'm serious about this issue this post is like a bad case of the crabs. I bet my ass i wont be paying a dime .The proof is in the pudding.

dic

Scott,
Does that smiley face mean you are joking?
I hope so.

Along with pinellasfirefighter, I also agree that if Muhockey86's scanner is seized and he is fined for its possession (for any reason unrelated to a traffic offense, OUI, or attracting undue attention to himself, meaning: being stupid), that we (on receipt of his citations) will pay for the fines and replacement of his scanner.

I believe that is called "putting your money where your mouth is".

Again, respectfully yours

Dic
N1XBA

STiMULi

(3) This section shall not apply to any holder of a valid amateur radio operator or station license issued by the Federal Communications Commission or to any recognized newspaper or news publication engaged in covering the news on a full-time basis or any alarm system contractor certified pursuant to part II of chapter 489, operating a central monitoring system.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
dic said:
Referring this post, I think we have a great discussion and debate of our diverse ,experienced and well stated opinions about the Florida Scanner Law, which affects us all.
Ok, most of the posts were intelligent and on-point.

dic said:
How does that post and its (unfortunate junior-high-school mentality) respones apply to our discussion?
I just had a feeling that the posts in this thread were starting to get a bit off topic. I don't think it's right for someone to say "A law will never be enforced". When it comes down to it, it is a law. I felt that we need to provide a service to people who come on this board and only state things we know as fact. If we can prove that every single police officer in X county will not enforce the law, then fine, it's not enforced in that county. I feel that many of the generalizations made could lead someone to get in trouble.

dic said:
Respectfully yours, Sir,

Dic
And, respectfully back at you! ;)

-Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.