FM trap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joneil2000

Premium Subscriber
Noob question here. Where in SW Ontario can a person buy a decent FM trap, or is mail order from the US best, and last, which one would people suggest? Or should I be looking at a filter?

I don't need an amplifier, my new antenna is working great. In fact, I am surrounded by radio sources - the local police, fire and ambulance stations are all within a 5 minute walk, Rogers and their microwave rebroadcast tower is close, and not to mention all the towers on top of the buildings downtown. If anything, I often can have too much - FM radio, paging, you name it.

To top it off, at last count, I even have over 60 wireless computer networks surrounding me. Yeah, I know, 2.4Ghz, but a couple of these networks are so strong, I can be litterally (no exaggeration here) 12 feet away from my wireless router, and I can pick up a stronger signal from these networks from outside my house on my laptop than I can off my own wireless router. Go figure that one?

But point is, as an old Ham operator once told me "it's RF hell down here." :D

So from what I have read and researched, a FM trap sounds just like what I need, but I don't know the best place to get one, or which one, and I am open to suggestions
thanks

mciupa

You can try Radioworld on Saturday, show up for a free hot dog and buy a filter with a tax discount.:p

Last edited:

ATCTech

An FM trap is strictly for the broadcast band of 88-108 MHz. That doesn't sound like the sole source of your problems. In an environment of high RF levels throughout the spectrum there's nothing you can do that won't clobber the sensitivity of the radio. If there was a single frequency you wanted to monitor then an elaborate combination of bandpass and band reject filers could be used, at great expense I might add.

Status
Not open for further replies.