Forestry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Feb 25, 2021
Messages
241
Reaction score
32
Location
Shelby county, Alabama
Does anyone listen to forestry? I’m getting back into analog scanning and forestry seems like my game but I feel like when I first got a scanner, I can’t tell what they are talking about. Does anyone listen enough to give me a rundown of what I should expect to hear and what some of the status, call alerts and codes mean? Thanks in advance
 

KG4DRF

Member
Joined
May 26, 2019
Messages
118
Reaction score
22
Both Forestry and Game&Fish use the forestry frequencies, so you will catch traffic from both. Forestry is usually designated by the county they're in followed by a number. Signal 1-3 is most common fire code given by them and best I can figure relates to containment of a fire.can hear most of them as system is statewide so you can hear plenty of you put in all the frequencies.
Hope this helps
 

RadioJonD

Exalted Nabob
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
635
Reaction score
95
Location
At the hairdresser's, past the liquor store.
The Alabama Forestry Commission has one dispatch center in Montgomery these days. Conservation Officers are now on AFC with their more routine communications like going in and out of service. Most traffic otherwise for them is through local/county radio systems.

In the morning, AFC units check in with a few instructions for Dispatch.

Readiness Level - on a scale of 1 to 3(?) depending on fire danger. One = Low, Two = Moderate, Three = High.

First Call - Unit to be contacted first for any calls in the county(ies) reporting in.

Those two are off the top of my head. There are others, I'm sure.

Depending on how long you have been away from listening to Forestry, the largest change to my knowledge is abolishing Districts in favor of much larger Areas. Communications have gone from one statewide channel and three or four local repeaters pairs rotated throughout the state to many more repeaters and frequencies in use statewide. Each area has at least two assigned tact channels which, I believe, are used for fire ground communications.

The RR database contains a fairly good listing of the frequencies although some of the listed areas have been adjusted.

Oh, and aircraft that once made extensive use of the former statewide frequency (which was 159.420 MHZ, now a tact) communicate with Dispatch on the local repeater. I assume aircraft also talk direct to ground units on tactical frequencies.

(AFC was my first state agency, 1979-1984.)
 
Last edited:

Avery93

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
580
Reaction score
61
Location
AL
RadioJonD summed it up pretty well. In addition, you will hear wildfires referred to as "Signal 1s", which are divided into several priority levels. Priority 4 is the least urgent, whereas Priority 1 fires are immediately threatening life or structures.

The database is a good starting point for frequencies, and there is a map in the wiki showing which repeater pair is used in which county. This information was accurate up until a few years ago, when AFC re-structured from 6 regions down to 4. Some of the "communications zones" have shifted around a little bit to match the new region boundaries.
 

Avery93

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
580
Reaction score
61
Location
AL
here is a map google is your friend lol i dont know how up todate its but its a map lol

That's the map I made probably 10 years ago now. You can still use it as a starting point, but some of the boundaries of the "communication zones" changed a bit when AFC restructured from 6 regions, down to 4. You can take a look at the current AFC Region map that I attached to get an idea of where the changes took place. Perhaps someday I will get around to making a new map lol.
 

Attachments

  • AFC Regions.jpg
    AFC Regions.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 65
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top