Format & use new sd card for SDS200

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I ordered a new 32GB High Endurance SD card from B&H Photo. I just want to keep a backup card in case the stock card malfunctions. I see I need to format the card to FAT32. Once that is done do I simply copy the data off the OLD card onto the NEW card?

freqseeker

I ordered a new 32GB High Endurance SD card from B&H Photo. I just want to keep a backup card in case the stock card malfunctions. I see I need to format the card to FAT32. Once that is done do I simply copy the data off the OLD card onto the NEW card?
You will need to use "clear user data" under the scanner tab in Sentinel on the new card after formatting. This will load the files needed by the radio. Then you can load your favorites. Very simple.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I always copy the data from the software to the card because it takes less time on my computer.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Download and use this utility for formatting the card... (recommended by Uniden):

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

If the SD card you are currently using is working without any issues, yes.. you can just copy the files from the old card to the new (formatted) card. All the necessary files are already on the old card, so no need to use the clear user data function on the new card.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Any name-brand card will come already formatted FAT32. There's no need to format the card unless you're having a problem doing Clear User Data or whatever.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
Download and use this utility for formatting the card... (recommended by Uniden):

If the SD card you are currently using is working without any issues, yes.. you can just copy the files from the old card to the new (formatted) card. All the necessary files are already on the old card, so no need to use the clear user data function on the new card.

Yes this is what I meant to ask. Current card working fine, I just want a backup just in case.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber

I downloaded and installed the sd card formatter. I read the information and didnt realize a specialized formatter may work better than Windows formatter. Thanks! I will use this to format the new sd card when I get it.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You're overthinking it. There is no reason to format a brand new card, they come preformatted. Stick it in the computer, open Sentinel, use the Clear All Data function, write to the new card, stick it in a safe place. Done.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
You're overthinking it. There is no reason to format a brand new card, they come preformatted. Stick it in the computer, open Sentinel, use the Clear All Data function, write to the new card, stick it in a safe place. Done.
It can actually be detrimental to format a card multiple times.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
OK I wasn't sure they would be already formatted to FAT32.

belvdr

Formatting a card a couple of times isn't going to hurt, it's just a waste of time is what it is.
Even one format can affect read/write performance, if the filesystem isn't aligned properly. That's the reason the SD formatter utility is recommended, as it does things properly, unlike the operating system. Performance is likely not an issue with scanners though.

Many additional formats can affect the life of the card.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Even one format can affect read/write performance, if the filesystem isn't aligned properly. That's the reason the SD formatter utility is recommended, as it does things properly, unlike the operating system. Performance is likely not an issue with scanners though.

Many additional formats can affect the life of the card.
That's getting a bit nit picky. Most SD cards can be formatted just fine with Windows. Yes, I've used the SD Formatter myself, but I've also just let Windows take care of it, and I have never had an issue (I'm an IT guy my entire life). Heck, I've even been so bold as to format an SD card with NTFS and exFAT! :eek: Never had an issue.

All the writes a scanner does if recording/replay is enabled has a far, far greater impact on the lifespan of the card than a dozen or so format cycles, believe me.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
That's getting a bit nit picky. Most SD cards can be formatted just fine with Windows. Yes, I've used the SD Formatter myself, but I've also just let Windows take care of it, and I have never had an issue (I'm an IT guy my entire life). Heck, I've even been so bold as to format an SD card with NTFS and exFAT! :eek: Never had an issue.

All the writes a scanner does if recording/replay is enabled has a far, far greater impact on the lifespan of the card than a dozen or so format cycles, believe me.
I never use the record/play feature anyway so I would think this would result in longer card life in any case of formatting. I just want a backup card in case my current stock card malfunctions.

belvdr

It's not being nit picky. It's straight from the SDA's advice:
I've never had an issue either, and have used way more filesystems than that. However, I've never been concerned with the lifespan or performance of them either.

I never said such a thing; I already know that. My question is: why push the limit though with these systems that are write heavy on the cards?
I never use the record/play feature anyway so I would think this would result in longer card life in any case of formatting. I just want a backup card in case my current stock card malfunctions.
I don't record on any of my SDS gear and have never had an issue. A backup never hurts though.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just for peace of mind, I'll format any new card I get with SD Formatter. That way I've got as "empty" of a card as possible. Sometimes cards come with "helpful" utilities that just take up space. And I'm not that pressed for time so if it adds a minute to the process, that's okay.

Be sure when you do the Clear User Data, you check the Display All Drives checkbox when the pop-up window opens, so Sentinel can find your card.

Keep your spare cards where you can see them. That way if you make a lot of major changes, you'll remember to update them as well. Especially before taking any trips.

kudzu_kid

Emperor
Premium Subscriber
«Snipped for brevity...»
...take care of it, and I have never had an issue (I'm an IT guy my entire life). Heck, I've even been so bold as to format an SD card with NTFS and exFAT! :eek: Never had an issue.

Next you'll tell me you installed Kali Linux on it! 😉

Ditto on the IT guy for life.

But seriously, yeah, I agree, if a person is using quality media (SanDisk, Kingston, etc al), formatting will likely be the least of the wear & tear it sees over its life. I've used SD and microSD cards in tons of devices; cameras (video & DSLR), phones, tablets and other devices I can't even think of now - never had one catastrophically fail.

Sorry, you had me at exFAT... :cool:

Peace,

--Pete

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The number of read/write cycles will impact card life, just as the number of miles driven will impact car tire life. Just like with car tires, sudden blowouts can happen due to road hazards. In scanners, it could be a loss of power, such as during bad weather - power goes off, comes back for a second or two and then may go off for a long time.

SD cards have been reported to fail during those bad weather situations when read/write cycles are disrupted.

I think SD formatter is better than windows because it is formatting the SD card, where you could end up formatting something important like an internal hard drive.

Yeah, it might not be likely but in my 40 year fire service career, I know one thing for sure. There are lots of people who thought something bad would not happen, just before it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.