Frequencies Help Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfink16

It seems that I may be on the wrong PHP forum group to ask this question but perhaps someone can lead me to an answer or the proper place to retrieve an answer.

In consideration for license fees and remaining legal in the USA, is a 2-way radio that uses frequencies from 136 to 174 legal in the USA? I simply want to communicate with my wife when we are out of cell phone range. I'm considering a 5w VHF, with a detachable antenna, device for purchase.

I have looked here (this site?) for information but can't find anything:

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_07/47cfr95_07.html

Thanks in advance for any help!

Steve

captclint

Mentor
I simply want to communicate with my wife when we are out of cell phone range.
Bear in mind that GMRS communication between 2 hand held units is typically no better than 1 mile, and often no better than 1/4 to 1/2 mile. This is really meant for close communications in situations like a shopping mall, camping ground, or 2 cars traveling together. Do not consider that this is very reliable beyond these distances unless it is open water, or flat land without obstructions, such as trees or or buildings. MURS range would be about the same or less, due to the fact it is limited to 2W

Last edited:

sfink16

As I stated in the original post, the unit I'm interested in is "advertised" 5 w. I need to contact the seller asking for the FCC ID, I suppose to confirm this.

I have a MURS unit and previously had a (misplaced?) Radio Shack GMRS/FRS unit. Both surprisingly go up to a mile (point to point) through rough urban/suburban tree, lined/buildings, neighborhoods with plenty of trees with my home being in a low valley surround by trees.

However, I'm interested in your recommendation(s) for handheld units.

Bear in mind that GMRS communication between 2 hand held units is typically no better than 1 mile, and often no better than 1/4 to 1/2 mile. This is really meant for close communications in situations like a shopping mall, camping ground, or 2 cars traveling together. Do not consider that this is very reliable beyond these distances unless it is open water, or flat land without obstructions, such as trees or or buildings. MURS range would be about the same or less, due to the fact it is limited to 2W

KR4BD

Try Amateur Radio

If your communications are not business related, both of you might get a Technician Class ham license where you could talk through repeater systems using low power VHF or UHF transceivers. The test is quite easy and the license is free and valid for 10 years. My entire family has a ham license and it does come in handy.

Tests are given all over the country, usually at hamfests and local radio clubs. For more Ham licensing information and practice tests, contact:

www.qrz.com

www.arrl.org

sfink16

Thanks all for your help!

I found the FD-150A on eBay and it has been reviewed here:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7191

If I purchase this, does this mean that I can only receive until I get my ham license? Can I transmit at low power, at all, until I do?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Is there a place I can find the "User Guide"?

Steve

If your communications are not business related, both of you might get a Technician Class ham license where you could talk through repeater systems using low power VHF or UHF transceivers. The test is quite easy and the license is free and valid for 10 years. My entire family has a ham license and it does come in handy.

Tests are given all over the country, usually at hamfests and local radio clubs. For more Ham licensing information and practice tests, contact:

www.qrz.com

www.arrl.org

Last edited:

chankel

Premium Subscriber
It's not legal to use amateur radio frequencies without a license, regardless of your transmit power level. Also bear in mind that each user must have a license in the circumstances that you are referring to; if you had a licensed op and a visitor at one location the visitor could use the licensed op's equipment in their presence, but if the communicating parties are seperated then they've got to have their own individual licenses. It may be much faster and easier to buy some TracFones, but if you are set on some HT's then try some TriSquare portables, which carry better than FRS/GMRS. http://www.trisquare.us/

And no, I'm not down on amateur radio, if anyone is wondering. I am a licensed operator myself. I'm just suggesting a more expedient solution. For the cost of most amateur HT's you can get 4 TriSquare portables...

sfink16

Thanks! I'll eventually take the exam to receive a license (and hopefully pass!). I took the practice exam, from this site, and received a score of 40, but that was without any real knowlege of the topic(s).

I have a similar service as Tracfone from Virgin Mobile but the service coverage is not that good. I suspect Tracfone coverage isn't that good either. I've looked at Trisquare and it seems that the range isn't very good according to the reviews I've read.

It's not legal to use amateur radio frequencies without a license, regardless of your transmit power level. Also bear in mind that each user must have a license in the circumstances that you are referring to; if you had a licensed op and a visitor at one location the visitor could use the licensed op's equipment in their presence, but if the communicating parties are seperated then they've got to have their own individual licenses. It may be much faster and easier to buy some TracFones, but if you are set on some HT's then try some TriSquare portables, which carry better than FRS/GMRS. http://www.trisquare.us/

And no, I'm not down on amateur radio, if anyone is wondering. I am a licensed operator myself. I'm just suggesting a more expedient solution. For the cost of most amateur HT's you can get 4 TriSquare portables...

Status
Not open for further replies.