Frequency and Input differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeymom

If this is the wrong forum to post, I apologize in advance.

I have found the frequencies for my county and want to program my scanner so that I can listen to them. I see that on the database it sometimes says frequency and gives a number, and input and also states a number. My question is, Do I use the frequency number? Or do I use the Input number?

Thanks

btritch

This question should be a sticky if it's not already!!! This comes up A LOT on here.. I will explain it once again...

Frequency : What you would enter into your scanner
Input: This is the frequency programmed into the radio to feed into the repeater which then relays out of the frequency.. Sometimes used as a talk around, Car To Car, Or Simplex Frequency to avoid the repeater.. In other words, A Bypass around the repeater system.

the frequency is the output repeater frequency to listen on
The input is the input repeater frequency which is used to Transmit on.

Most likely You would just need to program in the one in the left column under frequency...
Hope this helps..

KC0QNB

This question should be a sticky if it's not already!!! This comes up A LOT on here.. I will explain it once again...

Input: This is the frequency programmed into the radio to feed into the repeater which then relays out of the frequency.. Sometimes used as a talk around, Car To Car, Or Simplex Frequency to avoid the repeater.. In other words, A Bypass around the repeater system.

Most likely You would just need to program in the one in the left column under frequency...
Hope this helps..
Nicely done Brian, there is hope for you after all :wink: check your inbox

hockeymom

Thanks! You're right it should be a sticky! I did a lot of searching before I asked that question. I didn't want to seem like I didn't know what I was doing (well I didn't but you know what I mean) I really appreciate your answer. Maybe the powers that be will see this thread and decide to make it a sticky!

cubn

Database Admin
Here's another source to reference when people ask this question:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Input

One thing to note is that the input is important in a duplex system such as what some state police departments use on VHF low-band where the dispatcher transmits on one frequency and the officer responds back on a different frequency. In the database, the dispatcher would be the output and the officer's frequency would be the input frequency.

n2mdk

Hope this helps..

Just one thing using the input as a talkaround really can't work, using the outpt in simplex form can. If you transmit on the input you will come through the repeater, if the repeater had a coded squelch and you transmit without it at worst you can jam the repeater at best you cause interference on the channel, the proverbial "double".

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Here's another source to reference when people ask this question:
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Input

One thing to note is that the input is important in a duplex system such as what some state police departments use on VHF low-band where the dispatcher transmits on one frequency and the officer responds back on a different frequency. In the database, the dispatcher would be the output and the officer's frequency would be the input frequency.
Actually this is incorrect.
If the system is properly set up in the DB, each of those frequencies are supposed to be on separate lines, each indicating what it is. There is no input in a split frequency, non-repeated channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.