frequency id

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaack

I have recently started monitoring 70cm, usually stuck on 2m after deciding to start studying for my test. Using repeater book info for helena alabama I came across 444.925. No communication just a repeating tone or noise sometimes followed by morse code id.

Anyone getting this or know it's purpose? kc4sig is all I can find. using radio shack pro 94 scanner.

Last edited:

jmaack

I know it was listed as a repeater and have the name of the individual associated with it. I am curious as what the tones are. Repeater says it is open, but been listening for weeks now and no traffic. only the same repeating noise, so I had to lock out that channel scanning as it got annoying listening to it.

walsabrook

Premium Subscriber
It’s a DMR repeater. Digital Mobile Radio is a digital modulation that requires a radio capable of decoding this type of modulation

walsabrook

Premium Subscriber
Yes, hams operate in DMR mode, the noise you are hearing is the digital modulation. I believe Icom is coming out with the ID-52A digital handheld soon, and you can already get transceivers from Anytone that operate DMR. It’s legal on the ham bands

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Yes, hams operate in DMR mode, the noise you are hearing is the digital modulation. I believe Icom is coming out with the ID-52A digital handheld soon, and you can already get transceivers from Anytone that operate DMR. It’s legal on the ham bands

The Icom ID-52A does not do DMR, only D-STAR. Icom has publicly stated that they will not be supplying DMR gear (which is a mode in direct competition to their NXDN line of radios).

walsabrook

Premium Subscriber
Good to know, I thought I heard it mentioned that it would do DMR. In the DFW area, DMR is quite active, with at least 3 repeaters available near my home...

walsabrook

Premium Subscriber
I actually own a DMR Amateur transceiver , but am not on much because many of my friends are on the local FM repeater ... I have the DMR frequencies programmed into my Uniden BC996P2 (with DMR upgrade) so I can keep up with what is going on digital freqs

jmaack

I figured it was digital based on consistency. Thanks for a confirm on id.

I'm a fairly novice scanner. I dint know cc1 was digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.