Front USB Port, Using It To Charge/Run Other Scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Top Dawg
I have been using the SDS200 front USB post recently.
I saw it was meant for the gps, and future developments.

So, one day I plugged in my buddies trx-1 handheld scanner into it.
To see what would happen.

Long and behold, it ran and charged the batteries of my buddies trx-1.

We kept it on there for 4 weeks straight.

The TRX-1 was plugged into the front USB post a, for 4 weeks straight and ran the whole time.

WITHOUT any issues.

Just wanted to pass on our experience. And see if others have done the same.
Disclaimer: Do NOT try this at home, or anywhere else. You are responsible for your own actions...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Yes, it is just a standard USB A port, with 5VDC power. From what I understand, nothing else - wondering if there will ever be....

I have had, since the 200 was new, a small gooseneck USB LED light in it.
BTW, it doesn't have enough 'juice' to run/charge an SDS100.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I will bet the data lines are hooked up too, but the firmware totally ignores them. A change in firmware and magically those data lines will actually have a task to do.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I will bet the data lines are hooked up too, but the firmware totally ignores them. A change in firmware and magically those data lines will actually have a task to do.

Being it is a software driven device, the boards I'm sure were initially designed/printed with all the traces there.

a417

Youtube, vine, the ticktockings are abound with videos of guys firing up everything from Keysight spectrum analyzers to 8 figure CNC suites just to charge cellphones. IIRC, I think even electroboom had a keysight rep make a joke about using one as a cellphone charger, but it's late...and I'm not looking back for it now.

donc13

Premium Subscriber
Being it is a software driven device, the boards I'm sure were initially designed/printed with all the traces there.
I agree, all the circuitry and interface chips are there, just ignored in the software. No idea exactly what UPMan or Joe have/had planned for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.