• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FRS/MURS Question (Digital)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I know that in Europe the 446 band is allowed to use dPMR now... is there any frequencies in the US that are allowed to have digital TX on them? Such as MURS or FRS, be it the power output doesn't exceed the legal limit.

Thanks.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
If I may ask a constructive question...

Why would you choose to (if legal) use digital voice modes on MURS or FRS? Where does analog fail that digital would be superior?

SCPD

QRT

Why would you choose to (if legal) use digital voice modes on MURS or FRS? Where does analog fail that digital would be superior?

I'm not here to argue digital vs. analog. Just asking a simple question.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
My apologies. There obviously must be a draw to it for you or you wouldn't have asked the question.

SCPD

QRT
My apologies. There obviously must be a draw to it for you or you wouldn't have asked the question.

No apology needed; you did nothing wrong. I don't even own radios capable of TX, why I ask is recently there has been a digital transmission on 151.82 in a mall that is near me. I know of a store that is using those dPMR radios from China... and they antenna looks VHF. Not sure if it's them or not. I suppose since they're txing at 1 watt it's not really that big of a deal anyhow... just wasnt sure if it was TECHNICALLY LEGAL.

RayAir

You would have to buy a digital capable radio and software. Then program in FRS frequencies. I take it you're looking for privacy? You could try some of the Kirisun s760/80 uhf radios. Buy the software and program them to FRS. They use FDMA digital, not sure on the vocoder, and they come with software programmable digital enc. It sounds to me like its pretty basic though, with about 10 million different keys. Compared to yesterdays DES with 72 quadrillion keys and modern AES with unspeakable long keys.

I don't think its legal though. I once ran dynamic band splitter scrambling on FRS back around 2005.

We since moved on to proprietary digital radios with more advanced digital encryption. And that is DES encrypted AEGIS and Harris OpenSky. OpenSky sounds better but it is not encrypted on our system.

Last edited:

KF5YDR

Digital is legal on MURS, as one of its explicitly mentioned uses in Part 95 is telemetry and remote control.

SCPD

QRT
i run P25 DES-OFB on MURS i love in Norther Nevada and there no one around me to mess up there Comm's

D

DaveNF2G

Telemetry and remote control are not the same as digital voice.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin

Here is the answer from the Rule Book

MURS is the only un-licensed service other then 900 MHz ISM that allows for Digital Modes, but not Digital Voice.

(e) No GMRS or CB transmitter shall employ a digital modulation or emission.

(j) A MURS transmitter must transmit only emission types A1D, A2B, A2D, A3E, F2B, F1D, F2D, F3E, G3E. Emission types A3E, F3E and G3E include selective calling or tone-operated squelch tones to establish or continue voice communications. MURS transmitters are prohibited from transmitting in the continuous carrier mode.

This would include
8K10F1D - P25 Phase I C4FM data
8K30F1D - NXDN 12.5 Data
4k00F1D - NXDN 6.25 Data

Technically DMR would not be allowed on MURS since it's emission code doe not fall under those listed in part 95.631.
7K60FXD - 2-slot DMR (Motorola MOTOTRBO) TDMA data
7K60FXE - 2-slot DMR (Motorola MOTOTRBO) TDMA voice

MURS Use Outlined
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Emission Types
eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

Quick Chart of Emission Codes
Emission Designator - The RadioReference Wiki __________________

Status
Not open for further replies.