Yaesu: FT5DR programming software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firekite

I just got a shiny new FT5DR in yesterday and am getting used to it. It’s my first Yaesu HT, and I’m pretty jazzed about it. However. I went to the product website, and there’s zero programming software available for it. I decided to take a shot and use the FT3 software, but no dice, it says there’s a format error when trying to read the 5’s backup DAT file.

I do not relish the idea of wading through innumerable menu options and “clicks” to add the extensive list of repeaters I’m hoping to use with it when I leave on a road trip Monday morning. Is it normal that there’s no software for it? Maybe eventually? I called RT Systems and they said they hoped to have something maybe in early October. My microSD card is in there being mostly worthless right now.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
This was posted in the Yaesu FT-3 and FT-5 Users Group on Facebook by Kris Linquist. Granted, it only helps if you have an FT-3D:

Good news - the FT3D and FT5D use the same internal format for memories... that means you can copy your memories from the FT3 to the FT5!
What you need: microSD card and a computer with a microSD card reader. NO OTHER SOFTWARE REQUIRED!
First, you want to put the SD card in the FT3 and allow it to boot... then put it in the FT5 and allow it to boot. The radio should then create the appropriate folders on the microSD card automatically.
Now,
Put SD card in FT3. Long press DISP then select SD Card.
Select Memory CH
Select Write to SD, confirm.
Now put the microSD card in your computer. Go into FInder/Explorer to explore the contents of the card. You should see a folder called FT3_MEMORY-CH and inside that folder, there is a file called MEMORY.dat.
You want to copy that file into the FT5_MEMORY-CH folder.
Now put the SD card into your FT5. Long press F-Menu then select SD card.
Select Memory CH
Select Read from SD, confirm.
Done!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So no ADMS from Yaesu or RT Systems yet?
Supposedly, people have asked RT Systems about this and been told "in a few weeks".

[rant_mode=ON]
Frankly, I think FT-5 buyers and prospective buyers should hammer Yaesu about this situation. Bringing a new radio to market while relying on third-party vendors to develop the programming software after the release seems backwards to me. Assuming that owners will just program the radio by hand until a third-party does what the manufacturer should have done shows an ignorance of their customers' needs and wants.
[rand_mode=OFF]

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I agree. I paid over five bills for a ham toy. It's a great radio but I am not about to sit here and bang in a couple hundred channels from the non-existent keypad. My bad for ASSuming they would release ADMS. I'd be glad to PAY for it. I am not cheap, but I also want to get what I pay for. An advanced radio like this NEEDS software to setup and use. Rushing it to market is a FAIL. Hey RT Systems, let me know when you want my $25-30 bucks or whatever.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Given that I already own an FT2 and an FT70, I'm not very likely to rush out to buy yet another C4FM HT. There is a possibility the due to chip shortages and supply chain issues, Yaesu didn't expect to bring this to the market so soon and the software side didn't keep up. These radios do have a "virtual" keypad that is menu driven. You can directly enter frequencies. However, I wouldn't recommend it for large databases.

My prediction is that the software will appear quite soon. I prefer RT Systems. I had problems with the ADMS software on my FT70 not programming banks correctly. Another friend managed to do it. Maybe it was just me.

HRO will give you a free belt clip if you order soon. Attractive though that is, I probably won't ordering soon.

Firekite

This was posted in the Yaesu FT-3 and FT-5 Users Group on Facebook by Kris Linquist. Granted, it only helps if you have an FT-3D:
I do not have an FT3, and unfortunately ADMS won’t let you create a memories DAT file unless it’s already able to read in an existing configuration. I don’t know why.

That makes me wonder, though, if anyone who owns an FT3 would be kind enough to zip up their SD card contents (minus any recordings or GPS logs) and make it available for us to download. From there I should be able to read it into the FT3 ADMS (11), set up my own memories, and then drop that memories DAT file on my FT5. Right?

Anyone willing to help me give this a try?

Given that I already own an FT2 and an FT70, I'm not very likely to rush out to buy yet another C4FM HT.
Thank you for your contribution.

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I do not have an FT3, and unfortunately ADMS won’t let you create a memories DAT file unless it’s already able to read in an existing configuration. I don’t know why.

That makes me wonder, though, if anyone who owns an FT3 would be kind enough to zip up their SD card contents (minus any recordings or GPS logs) and make it available for us to download. From there I should be able to read it into the FT3 ADMS (11), set up my own memories, and then drop that memories DAT file on my FT5. Right?

Anyone willing to help me give this a try?

Thank you for your contribution.
I just sent you a PM, hope it helps.

Firekite

I just sent you a PM, hope it helps.
Thank you so much! I tried it, but there's no way to get the ADMS to output JUST the memory DAT, unfortunately, only read in or write out the full backup DAT file. So close, and yet so far. Argh! Thank you for being willing to try.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Thank you so much! I tried it, but there's no way to get the ADMS to output JUST the memory DAT, unfortunately, only read in or write out the full backup DAT file. So close, and yet so far. Argh! Thank you for being willing to try.
You might have better luck with RT Systems which can read the card in a card reader. ADMS is free, but I have found RT to be a better investment.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The RT Systems software is is far better than any ADMS I ever used for Yaesu radios. One big plus is that you can use a database from one radio and transfer the data to another RT Systems software package.

Firekite

We will be releasing it soon as we are also working on other software for 'other' radios also.
Please don’t tell me it’s an upgraded 991A with FT10DX screen and features. I will absolutely be forced to buy one immediately to get an upgraded shack in the box.

PS I don’t know what happened behind the scenes but if y’all could make sure you’ve got ADMS ready by the time of a new radio's release that would be appreciated by those of us who are early adopters.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Please don’t tell me it’s an upgraded 991A with FT10DX screen and features. I will absolutely be forced to buy one immediately to get an upgraded shack in the box.
Ohh...yes please and make the head remote. My bet is on Icom making something like that as the successor to the 7100, with something like a reduced 705 as the control head.

I don’t know what happened behind the scenes but if y’all could make sure you’ve got ADMS ready by the time of a new radio's release that would be appreciated by those of us who are early adopters.
How dare you request minimum expectations! Anyways, I'm fine with waiting for the FT5DRX to fix what might be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.