Yaesu: FTM400XDR, ADMS-7 issues

285M

KC1SSG
Well I’m completely stumped, I got a 400 and installed the ADMS-7 programming software on my laptop. First I attempted to use the cable provided with the radio to clone the data and I get “format error”. Then I went out and bought an sd card and tried that. I copied the radio data to it and then put it in the computer and the file is showing but when I try to load it I get “error” immediately. There is no other information except “error”. I’ve downloaded all the drivers and updated the software. I read all the manuals I have copied the CLNTFTM400D dat file to the laptops hard drive, and tried everything else I can think of including a different sd card, and I’m completely at a loss here. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times as well. I can open the dat file with notepad and there is data but I don’t know computer code so I’m not sure what I’m looking at. I’ll post that code if anyone thinks it will help. Seriously “error” how the hell do they expect you to diagnose the issue if that’s all the information you get?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Then I went out and bought an sd card and tried that. I copied the radio data to it and then put it in the computer and the file is showing but when I try to load it I get “error” immediately.
Did you format the SD card in the radio?

Did you write the radio's current configuration to the SD card?

Did you then move the SD card to your computer and use ADMS-7 to modify the file (preferably a copy of that file) that the radio wrote to the SD card? Are you saying that ADMS-7 gives you an error when it tries to read the file from the SD card?

285M

KC1SSG
#1 I didn’t format the sd card in the radio! I’ll try that!

#2 Yes I wrote the radios configuration to the card.

#3 I put the sd card into my computer and the ADMS software instantly gave me an error when I tried to read the file. The error was just “Error” in a box with no other information.

The computer can see the files the radio wrote to the card. I’m going to try formatting the card right now and I’ll post the results in a few minutes.

285M

KC1SSG
I’m trying to post pictures but it says they are to large🤬. Can’t seem to figure out how to lower my camera resolution. Anyone know how to lower the camera resolution on an iPhone 6s Plus?

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I’m trying to post pictures but it says they are to large🤬. Can’t seem to figure out how to lower my camera resolution. Anyone know how to lower the camera resolution on an iPhone 6s Plus?
Not an iPhone user, but I am a graphic designer. You can lower the resolution and/or physical image size in whatever image editing software you like.

The alternative way is to call the image up on your screen and do a screen capture, then paste it into a message here on RR.

k6cpo

Yaesu's free software for their radios is notoriously glitchy and difficult to use. My recommendation is dumping the ADMS software and purchasing the RT Systems product instead. It's so much better than anything else on the market. With the SD card, all you'll need is the software itself.

jim202

Who supplies the RT software and what Windows platform does it require? Like what is the lowest version of Windows will run it?

Jim

kg7jqh

Are you trying to Open the file from the SD card, or are you using the "read from SD card" option. I don't think the Open command works.

FKimble

Per AK9R's link to RT Systems, it appears it is an ADMS product? I've noticed this before but never gave it much thought.

Frank

k6cpo

Per AK9R's link to RT Systems, it appears it is an ADMS product? I've noticed this before but never gave it much thought.

Frank
RT Systems and Yaesu software packages, although both using the ADMS designation are two completely different products. I think the ADMS (Advanced Data Management System) designation was originated by RT Systems and was copied by Yaesu when the latter started producing their own software. I believe this because in 2010 when I bought my very first HT, a Yaesu FT-270R, I also purchased the programming software for it. The software, bought at HRO, came in a Yaesu-branded box. When I opened it up, it contained an RT Systems disc and USB cable. This was long before Yaesu started producing software for their radios, which occurred around the time of the release of System Fusion.®

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Actually Yaesu contracted with RT Systems back in the late 1990s to write the very first PC programming software for radios like the FT-50, FT-2600, and FT-8100. The software was written for Windows 3.x/Windows 9x and came on floppy disks. I have my original ADMS for my old 2600, and it says "Copyright 1998 RT Systems, Inc" on the label and on the splash screen when the program is launched.

The term ADMS may be a Yaesu trademark, but the software was written under contract by RT Systems.

k6cpo

Actually Yaesu contracted with RT Systems back in the late 1990s to write the very first PC programming software for radios like the FT-50, FT-2600, and FT-8100. The software was written for Windows 3.x/Windows 9x and came on floppy disks. I have my original ADMS for my old 2600, and it says "Copyright 1998 RT Systems, Inc" on the label and on the splash screen when the program is launched.

The term ADMS may be a Yaesu trademark, but the software was written under contract by RT Systems.
It's obvious Yaesu didn't learn anything from their association with RT. Their proprietary software is junk by to comparison with the RT software for the exact same radios. When I first bought my FT1D, I tried the free Yaesu software for it. I did a test run with one channel programmed and it worked fine. When I added all the rest of the channels, it wouldn't work at all. That was when I bought the RT software for it and that's all I have used since.

I am amazed at how much hassle and inconvenience hams will put up with just to save a few bucks.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
They may have learned they cannot equally compete with RT systems, so their supplied software is very basic. Well, that is what I surmised and have spent hundreds on their programming software for different radios over the years. The additional benefit of being able to easily copy and paste frequencies from one radio version to another, even different brands, is very nice. Yes, I use RT systems for my Kenwood and Icom radios as well.

k6cpo

I use the G4HFQ software on my FT-170 and FT-270 handhelds and the RT Systems software on pretty much everything else. I've never had an issue with the cables and drivers supplied by RT.
I think I ordered software from that individual for my FT1D. It didn't work any better than the free Yaesu software. RT Systems forever!