Full tower-plane conversations

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdotts

I have a Alinco DR-735T/E dual band tranceiver, full-duplex simultaneous operation as well as vhf/vhf, uhf/uhf semi duplex including vhf air-band reception in AM mode.
Wanting to get unit to function like LiveATC does on the computer. Do I need to (vhf /tower) on one side of unit and (vhf /someting else) on the otherside of the unit to make it work? Need advise.

Thanks!

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Nope...enter the tower frequency and you'll hear everything!
Provided you are close enough to the tower to hear it...remember airplanes are thousands of feet in the air so those signals travel far! The tower is 50 or so feet tall and uses a low power transmitter so those signals don't carry as far!
I'm lucky that I live about 5 miles from an airport! I hear the tower, planes on approach n departure but lose them when on the ground!

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Aircraft

The tower signal is radiated at an upward angle by directional antenna placement toward the sky, further reducing the normal antenna broadcast pattern and reducing ground level receive range.

rwier

" .... about 5 miles from an airport ,....; "

Yep! I am about 7 miles from the nearest airport tower. I start to pick up the tower as I approach between 5 and 3 miles from the tower. Planes in the air can be heard from almost anywhere, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.