• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G2 vs. Motorola?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmulder13

Anyone done comparisons between a VHF G2 and a commercial grade radio, say Moto XTS/APX? I’m considering one for better coverage for fringe areas. I’ve already seen my G5 VHF outperform my SDS100 when the SDS was running a VHF-tuned portable antenna, so I’m excited what possibilities having the external antenna on the G2 could open up. Finally, how does the G2 do with conventional priority scan? That’s an area where nothing else has beat my XTS5000...

Webodisk

Silent key.
I have a G2 VHF and UHF, the difference very noticable, My G5 Vhf won't pick it up or will be scratchy in fringe areas ,while the G2 will have no trouble being 1-2bars higher than the G5. I do not have a commercial grade to test against, but I am very impressed with it

KC8ESL

I'd put my G5 up against my Motorola gear any day of the week. This stuff is solid and tough. It also depends how much you want to scan at a time. If you're sitting on one frequency/talkgroup, chances are they'll perform darn close to the same. If they're scanning I've found the G5 to be the winner.

N6ML

I'd put my G5 up against my Motorola gear any day of the week. This stuff is solid and tough. It also depends how much you want to scan at a time. If you're sitting on one frequency/talkgroup, chances are they'll perform darn close to the same. If they're scanning I've found the G5 to be the winner.

You've compared your G5 to Motorola *ON VHF*, and found the G5 to be the winner?????

KC8ESL

Assuming the same scanlist on each radio, yes. And the g5 doesnt recieve any better or worse, it just catches the traffic that the moto misses. This is a very dynamic question with varying possibilities as answers.

mdsxfire

EDBM
You also have to compare apples to apples, whatever unication pager you are using if the primary band isn’t the one you are testing against that means it’s using the internal antenna, which does not come close to the antenna on top

fmulder13

Assuming the same scanlist on each radio, yes. And the g5 doesnt recieve any better or worse, it just catches the traffic that the moto misses. This is a very dynamic question with varying possibilities as answers.
Could delay/hold time or lack thereof on either device be the cause of that? Or do you think the G5 has a faster scan speed?

BITT211

Been reading this , I am running motorola minitor , 4-5-6 , uhf 450-470 mhz . I do program motorola minitors also.
I have a new model ,unication g2 ,uhf 400-470 mhz. The unication pager is commerical pager , not a full blown scanner.
My set up is monitoring and scanning , p25 digital and analog conventional . Findings ,the minitor has a limited uhf bandwith , unication - no problem
he is what i can say , motorola minitor has been around long time , very dependable , but limited, reception is good.
unication g2 - external antenna , makes reception excellent , the audio is super crisp , including simulcasting . I have 6 channels programed , scans fine , the features , alot , case super drop protected , unit built like a army tank
Choice ,the price factor and its what you need to do your job. What would blow uniden and whistler away , is if unication would build a base model , HUM !

Jordan_yeh

Unication Representative
The hi performance antenna even better,

Attachments

• CD6E18DF-2AAF-46A9-97F8-7F6A06D03990.jpeg
    CD6E18DF-2AAF-46A9-97F8-7F6A06D03990.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 50

Jordan_yeh

Unication Representative
sorry no, this high performance public safety frequency antenna support vhf/uhf/700/800/900 MHz , can support G2,G3, and the near future scanner product

Prospect62

Anyone done comparisons between a VHF G2 and a commercial grade radio, say Moto XTS/APX? I’m considering one for better coverage for fringe areas.

Sorry I know this is old but I thought I'd share my experience.

One of the first things I did when I got my G2 was replace the stock stubby antenna with a Motorola PMAD4068. Then I took it out on duty with me, where I use an APX4000 portable and an APX1500 mobile. The G2 never once missed a transmission and the audio signal, volume and clarity were identical not only to the APX4000 but also to the mobile, just riding around clipped to my patrol bag. Absolutely identical performance, and will last a few days worth of 8-hour shifts (and then some) monitoring constant traffic on a single charge. The Unication can't be beat for what it is and what it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.