Unknown Signal Knocking Out Reception?

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I’ve posted before about a loss in reception I’m experiencing at my house with my BCD996P2 connected to my Diamond X50 on my roof. Been experimenting for a while to try and track it down. I’ve ruled out interference from something in my house. I did a test where I opened the squelch all the way and saw 3-5 signal bars on the scanner when tuned to one frequency. In the static I could hear a digital noise in the static, like a pager or something. This all went away when I disconnected my antenna. I did some VHF scanning and found this on two frequencies.

I’m thinking this signal is strong enough to interfere with the distance frequencies I’m now having trouble getting. I’m in Wolfeboro, NH and can’t find anything local registered to these frequencies. I know some paging systems are very high power so not really sure how far out this could be coming from. Anywhere, that’s where I stand in my hunt for interference.

Next I’ll take my handheld up on the roof and see if I pick it up. If I do I’ll head back to the ground and drive around to see if I can pinpoint it. But I’m guessing I won’t pick this up with the handheld. We’ll see.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
This all for the input here. Is there such a thing as a notch filter ti trap specific frequencies?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I had to put a notch filter in the antenna line for our newsroom scanners which were being wiped out by a paging transmitter. Luckily, I had professional equipment for tuning the 2-stage filter. You can listen to the offending frequency on a scanner and tune the filter to minimize the signal.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Just for fun I sat in my car in the driveway with my handheld scanner and stubby antenna. Both these frequencies came in good. Just based on signal strength, it seems like 152.6000 is closer, or stronger anyway.

Not strong enough to effect reception. I think the only reason I’m being effected on my base station is because of the height / gain of the antenna so it’s really receiving the pager signals strong.

Might seem crazy but maybe I need to downgrade my roof antenna….

Reactions: wtp

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Just for fun I sat in my car in the driveway with my handheld scanner and stubby antenna. Both these frequencies came in good. Just based on signal strength, it seems like 152.6000 is closer, or stronger anyway.

Not strong enough to effect reception. I think the only reason I’m being effected on my base station is because of the height / gain of the antenna so it’s really receiving the pager signals strong.

Might seem crazy but maybe I need to downgrade my roof antenna….
Yup. The drawback of barn door(wide band) receivers. Zero selectivity, and susceptible to front end overload.