• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 & Harris Patch Handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
My issue is with P25 Harris systems that use their various "65XXX" talkgroups along with a regular talkgroup (one I have stored and labeled). The G5 will not open up and monitor it, unless you have it on "wildcard", then it just shows the "65XXX" talkgroup when they are used together, not the stored talkgroup. When monitoring the stored talkgroups, if one of those stored talkgroups is used in addition to the "65XXX" talkgroups, it will be ignored by the G5. An SDS100 will show both talkgroups together, and will play the audio. I am hoping Unication can address this with a firmware update.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
My issue is with P25 Harris systems that use their various "65XXX" talkgroups along with a regular talkgroup (one I have stored and labeled). The G5 will not open up and monitor it, unless you have it on "wildcard", then it just shows the "65XXX" talkgroup when they are used together, not the stored talkgroup. When monitoring the stored talkgroups, if one of those stored talkgroups is used in addition to the "65XXX" talkgroups, it will be ignored by the G5. An SDS100 will show both talkgroups together, and will play the audio. I am hoping Unication can address this with a firmware update.

Good post and a big problem here on our NEW Harris system.
Thanks for the post.

so i understand what your post means on a Harris System are you talking about a PATCH TG? i monitor a Harris P25 very well with my G5 Pager i'm in Cleveland Ohio and Monitor the Parma Radio System.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I presume that it is a "patched talkgroup" Harris apparently has this "variable talkgroup" thing in the 65XXX series that will pop in with a normal (one that is dedicated) talkgroup, and render the G5 useless when it is used in conjunction. On the SDS100, I can see both TG's together. On my BCD996P2, it only shows the 65XXX talkgroup.

Thats about the best way I know to explain it.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
so i understand what your post means on a Harris System are you talking about a PATCH TG? i monitor a Harris P25 very well with my G5 Pager i'm in Cleveland Ohio and Monitor the Parma Radio System.

I will respond for our Harris simulcast Phase 1 system.
Yes, we are talking about when a dispatcher PATCHES together 2 radio TG.
If we have those 2 TG programmed in SCAN mode, we hear NO traffic on either TG while they stay patched.
Now if we have this system programmed in MONITOR mode we do hear them via a new TG id 65XXX.
This would be fine for me however in Monitor mode we then hear ENC radio traffic from other TG that are ENC.

I let RRR post if this is exactly what happens on his harris system.

So IF Unication would fix this Harris patch issue or silence ENC, be great.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
This sounds correct.

I do not want to stay in "monitor mode" or "Wildcard mode" because our system is shared with an adjoining, much larger system, and it would be nearly impossible to keep tabs on local stuff.

I do not agree with "silence enc" because the G4/G5 series can monitor ENC if you are an authorized user of a system with the correct Enc keys. To mute ENC would defeat this feature.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
This sounds correct.

I do not want to stay in "monitor mode" or "Wildcard mode" because our system is shared with an adjoining, much larger system, and it would be nearly impossible to keep tabs on local stuff.
Good point we need the Harris patch issue taken care of.
I know some Professionals here that use the G5 I have them contact Unication maybe their input can help.

do not agree with "silence enc" because the G4/G5 series can monitor ENC if you are an authorized user of a system with the correct Enc keys. To mute ENC would defeat this feature.
I guess this is where we need that firmware that make our g4 and g5 a SCANNER...

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Good point we need the Harris patch issue taken care of.

I guess this is where we need that firmware that make our g4 and g5 a SCANNER...

Yes, the "Harris patch issue" does need to be taken care of, but going so far as to say firmware to make the G4/G5 a "scanner" is not really necessary...

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Yes, the "Harris patch issue" does need to be taken care of, but going so far as to say firmware to make the G4/G5 a "scanner" is not really necessary...

Check my PM to you there is no Harris Patch issue.....

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I believe it was both simulselect and late entry. With simulselect, when a console creates a patch on a Harris system, it actually creates a new “patch” talkgroup. Some scanners (like Whistler) will not pass audio on the “original” talkgroup, so you would have to program in numerous patch talkgroups to hear anything. The G4/5 would not pass the audio on the original talkgroup for “some” Harris systems. For late entry, of the scanner was listening to one talkgroup and that talkgroup dropped, it would not scan another talkgroup that a conversation was already taking place on...it would scan right past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I believe it was both simulselect and late entry. With simulselect, when a console creates a patch on a Harris system, it actually creates a new “patch” talkgroup. Some scanners (like Whistler) will not pass audio on the “original” talkgroup, so you would have to program in numerous patch talkgroups to hear anything. The G4/5 would not pass the audio on the original talkgroup for “some” Harris systems. For late entry, of the scanner was listening to one talkgroup and that talkgroup dropped, it would not scan another talkgroup that a conversation was already taking place on...it would scan right past it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Confused a former Harris dealer tells me Harris Simulselect is like when a dispatcher wants to put out a BOLO on MULTI talkgroups at the same time? maybe PD disp, SO disp?
it is not as far as I am told patching two TG together?
I dont think they have fixed the harris patched TG issue.

Hope I am wrong and simulselect is patching two TG together.

Last edited:

CanesFan95

Well I have a Harris Phase II system with patches on it. Does this mean this is another bug and I need to continue waiting for this to be addressed before buying a Unication?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Well I have a Harris Phase II system with patches on it. Does this mean this is another bug and I need to continue waiting for this to be addressed before buying a Unication?

I am waiting for a Harris patch on my local system, so we can see if latest firmware now handles it.

I will post as soon as I know and I am sure other will also.

I hope RRR gets firmware tonite and he maybe has more patches than I do.

CanesFan95

A patch is when 2 (or more) TGs become like 1 single TG. All the users on TG 1 hear everything on TG 2 and vice-versa. A multi-select is when a dispatcher is selected on 2 TGs at the same time. You need a dispatch console to do this. The dispatcher hears traffic on both TGs at the same time, but the users on opposite TGs don't hear each other (TG 1 doesn't hear TG 2 or vice-versa). When the dispatcher keys up, the dispatcher is heard by everyone on both TGs. When a user keys up, only the other radios on their same TG hear the user. But the dispatcher hears everything on both TGs at the same time.

True or false?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
A patch is when 2 (or more) TGs become like 1 single TG. All the users on TG 1 hear everything on TG 2 and vice-versa. A multi-select is when a dispatcher is selected on 2 TGs at the same time. You need a dispatch console to do this. The dispatcher hears traffic on both TGs at the same time, but the users on opposite TGs don't hear each other (TG 1 doesn't hear TG 2 or vice-versa). When the dispatcher keys up, the dispatcher is heard by everyone on both TGs. When a user keys up, only the other radios on their same TG hear the user. But the dispatcher hears everything on both TGs at the same time.

True or false?

I say true this is what i need fixed .
A patch is when 2 (or more) TGs become like 1 single TG. All the users on TG 1 hear everything on TG 2 and vice-versa.
Pager doesnt hear traffic on either TG when there is a patch.Now if i am in monitor mode we hear the new created patched TG as a 65XXX TG.
On your multi select they never use that here so far.

lexmedic157

I know Unication is working on the Harris simulselect issue. My jurisdiction has been in contact with them trying get it sorted out. There has been some progress, but in my opinion, it’s not 100% yet. I do foresee it being solved as they have been in contact with Harris as well to get an understanding how their radios see the intended TG, etc and not the SAID (system assigned ID).

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I know Unication is working on the Harris simulselect issue. My jurisdiction has been in contact with them trying get it sorted out. There has been some progress, but in my opinion, it’s not 100% yet. I do foresee it being solved as they have been in contact with Harris as well to get an understanding how their radios see the intended TG, etc and not the SAID (system assigned ID).

Lexmedic what did this do for your pagers if anything?
Support for Harris Simul-Select and Late entry

what gets me when i have email form Unication employee saying there is no issue.
strange.
thanks for this info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.