• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 MCSO Phoenix ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
Will the G5, or G4 also work for MCSO in Phoenix ? I know it does P25. They are
APCO 25.
System Type:
Motorola Type II SmartZone

System Voice:
Analog and APCO-25 Common Air Interface

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
No. It does not do Type II trunking. The voice may be P25, but if the control is still Type II, then the G5 will not work.
It has to be a full P25 (P25 control channel with P25 voice) system for the G4/G5.

Edit: I should maybe expand a bit. It MIGHT (never tried it, don't know for sure) scan the voice channels conventionally, with NO trunking capability. However on a big system that would probably be a fruitless endeavor.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
So Theoretically if I was to put in the frequencies for a nearby site (851.125 851.175 851.325 851.775a 853.825c 857.8625 858.2625 ). It would scan them and pick up any voice transmission...even though the MCSO site uses: APCO 25.
System Type:
And is it still necessary to add in the talk groups...or it will just pickup anything on the voice channels?

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
You guys are making this way too hard, the Maricopa County sheriffs office currently uses the Maricopa County Motorola system and it will work fine on your G5. Go to the database, load the control channels for the site(s) you want, and load the talk groups you want and you are done.
You will also note that in the R/R database it shows a Maricopa County P-25 phase 2 system that is currently in the testing mode. One would assume that when they are done testing that the sheriffs office will migrate to this system and then we would need the upcoming phase 2 upgrade to our radios to hear them, but my money is on the upgrade coming far sooner than MCSO switching systems.

mswells

WB6JLB
Feed Provider
b1100mac...have you verified that the G5 can receive: APCO 25.
System Type:
Motorola Type II SmartZone ? MCSO
Rays pager sales didn't think it would work on that type of system....just P25.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
You guys are making this way too hard, the Maricopa County sheriffs office currently uses the Maricopa County Motorola system and it will work fine on your G5. Go to the database, load the control channels for the site(s) you want, and load the talk groups you want and you are done.

According to the DB and what was posted here, the system is a SmartNet system. Not P25. Everything posted to date is that the Unication only supports P25 trunking.
APCO P25 voice on a SmartNet system is not the same as a P25 system.

Is this the system we are discussing? http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=848

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
So Theoretically if I was to put in the frequencies for a nearby site (851.125 851.175 851.325 851.775a 853.825c 857.8625 858.2625 ). It would scan them and pick up any voice transmission...even though the MCSO site uses: APCO 25.
System Type:
And is it still necessary to add in the talk groups...or it will just pickup anything on the voice channels?

If it works as I THINK it would, you program all the voice channels (not the CCs) as P25 conventional and create a scanlist of them. You will hear all traffic on the site, there is no limiting the TGs to just what you want.
If there is a lot of traffic of mixed kinds on the site, this will not work well as you will have a very hard time following a conversation.

Last edited:

b1100mac

Premium Member
Premium Subscriber
I was pretty sure when I was down there around Christmas I was hearing Maricopa County sheriffs office as I had programed the system into the radio. I now wonder if I could have been confused because after just talking with John at Unication, he states that the radio does not support at Apco 25 SmartNet which is actually a P 16 system. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that program to go back and reference to but I definitely was hearing something. I guess You will just have to load it up and see what he can hear

Status
Not open for further replies.