• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 multiselect question, Monroe County Florida

ACKStatic

Programming question for G5.

Can anyone tell me how to turn on/off multiselect for P25 system?

I am an very experienced with programming trunked systems in scanners, but relatively new with the G5 PPS. I am in Ket West and I am receiving Monroe County Fire Rescue dispatches on the Monroe County Sheriff TG. I checked the TG settings and they are correct. I am assuming its a multiselect patch but it is odd. I know some agencies will patch fire calls to law enforcement (Martha's Vineyard for example). I would like turn off the multiselect if possible. I can the multiselect enable option under the knob settings, but the option seems unavailable (it is lightened and won't let me check the enable box. Am i makeing a programming error or it a firmware/PPS issue?

PPS VOO-03-12-06

Any G5 and or Monroe County advice would be greatly appreciated.

--ACKstatic

Last edited:

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
While I am not familiar with the specific system you are referencing, the multiselect is not something you could turn on or off via the receiver. The multiselect is initiated (usually) by a dispatcher via the dispatch console.

ACKStatic

Thank you for the response. Yes I do understand that. I am trying to program the radio so that I do not receive multiselect traffic (i want to receive traffuc only on the designated talkgroup and not patched talkgroups). In a uniden scanner, it would be status bit on/off.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
You would need to remove the "patched" talkgroup(s) from the receiver entirely, if the talkgroup(s) you want to monitor is added to a "patch" you can't turn that off via the receiver itself.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
For a little more explanation, let's say you have TG:1 and TG:2 and the dispatcher "patched" them together you would need to remove both TGs from the radio as both TGs are included in the "patch".

The system doesn't create an entirely new talkgroup for the "patch" that you would be able to control. The system does create a supergroup consisting of TG:1 and TG:2 but as a passive device the receiver has no control over that and will hear traffic from all TGs included in the supergroup on any TG that's included in the supergroup.

scannerboy02

Premium Subscriber
I am curious how you would have done this on a Uniden scanner? And which Uniden scanner?
Some scanners have (had) the ability to ignore the status bit and thus would not recognize the "patch". If a talkgroup was "patched" the scanner would ignore it and you wouldn't be able to hear the traffic. I'm not sure if this works on P25 systems or not but it did on the older Motorola systems.

Also, if it's a Harris system and you don't have the system designated "patch" groups programmed into the scanner you would not hear the "patched" traffic.

ACKStatic

yes it was a nice feature with analog trunked Motorola systems. I use it with Mass State PD to monitor only patched traffic sometimes because it is usually priority traffic such as BOLOs or chases. You can filter out routine traffic. I believe Scannerboy is correct that this is not an option with P25 systems. I think I wrongly assumed that the multiselect enable feature was similar to status bit, and sounds like Scannerboy is again correct that this feature is not possible using a G5 on P25 systems.

As an aside, the more I monitor the system, it appears it is not a patch, and in fact Fire Rescue does broadcast on the Sheriff’s office TG.

Thanks to all for the input!

ACKstatic