• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 Pager - PPS not detecting on windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

N6ML

Yes, I am using the cable that came with the pager (even tried a second cable from my other pager).

Yes, when I plug it in, I do get the sound and it even shows that it’s charging.
Yes, under “network adapters” I see the device appear and disappear when I plug/unplug the device.

If that device looks like "Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS #x", it sounds like everything is OK from the driver perspective. If can't communicate with the pager at this point, I'd start to suspect some malware protection getting in the way. Did it ever work? If it stopped working at some point, do you remember any changes you made around that time?

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
If that device looks like "Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS #x", it sounds like everything is OK from the driver perspective. If can't communicate with the pager at this point, I'd start to suspect some malware protection getting in the way. Did it ever work? If it stopped working at some point, do you remember any changes you made around that time?
Yes, it has been working fine up until about two days ago and it stopped. I have 2 G5’s and they both stopped connecting. Malware is possible but I have McAfee so I would hope that would help. No, I have not made any changes. In fact, I don’t even use this computer except for programming these pagers.

N6ML

Yes, it has been working fine up until about two days ago and it stopped. I have 2 G5’s and they both stopped connecting. Malware is possible but I have McAfee so I would hope that would help. No, I have not made any changes. In fact, I don’t even use this computer except for programming these pagers.

It's more likely that McAfee is preventing the communication with the pager, in attempt to "protect" you from dangerous network connections. I don't know if it's actually doing that, but it's a possibility. Maybe there's a way you can tell McAfee to trust the PPS software?

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
It's more likely that McAfee is preventing the communication with the pager, in attempt to "protect" you from dangerous network connections. I don't know if it's actually doing that, but it's a possibility. Maybe there's a way you can tell McAfee to trust the PPS software?
Ok, I will certainly check to see if that’s the issue. I appreciate the help and I’ll let you know.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Ok, I will certainly check to see if that’s the issue. I appreciate the help and I’ll let you know.
Of course, I’ve always had McAfee so that would seem strange if that started now. Obviously, something is not right.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
I disabled McAfee and tried with no luck. Even disabled the firewalls. I’ve done everything I know to do along with all suggestions. I guess my final option is I’ll take it to a computer technician and if that doesn’t work I have 2 G5’s I’ll sell for a discount. LoL

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
I had one computer that would not allow the pager to connect, the others worked fine. I went into Norton Security, Firewall, Program Control and allowed PPS access. I just checked and each PPS update is listed as allow so Norton must add them automatically now. All systems are Win10 20H2.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
I had one computer that would not allow the pager to connect, the others worked fine. I went into Norton Security, Firewall, Program Control and allowed PPS access. I just checked and each PPS update is listed as allow so Norton must add them automatically now. All systems are Win10 20H2.
Thanks, I’ll double check my firewall again. It has to be something simple like that.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Well, I’ve had two computer techs that make $50.00 an hour check everything and they can’t figure out the issue either. No, I was not charged anything since they could not fix it. Guess I need to buy another laptop and see if that works. I’m amazed that none of us can figure it out when it used to work fine. So strange!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Is your USB cable bad? You could try installing PPS on a totally different PC, temporarily, to help isolate the problem.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Is your USB cable bad? You could try installing PPS on a totally different PC, temporarily, to help isolate the problem.
I have tried 4 different cables (2 of which come with the pagers I own) so that’s not it. This afternoon I connected it to a friends desktop with no issues at all. It’s something with the laptop but I still can’t figure out the issue. Again, the strange thing is that it has worked fine for the past couple of years and just last week stopped being able to connect.

eorange

Do you see any warnings on the USB devices in the Control Panel when you plug it in?

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Do you see any warnings on the USB devices in the Control Panel when you plug it in?

When you connect the USB cable you should get a beep and it should show in Network adapters as Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS not in USB devices.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
When you connect the USB cable you should get a beep and it should show in Network adapters as Unication USB Ethernet/RNDIS not in USB devices.
Yes, it shows that but it is still not “reading” it correctly for “PC Programming”.

eorange

Try this: connect your pager and locate the USB device in the device manager. Delete that USB device and then disconnect your pager and exit PPS. Install the patch I referenced above (which you mentioned you had already tried, but do it again). Then start PPS and then connect your pager.

Railbender

Premium Subscriber
Don't start PPS just connect the pager. If you are seeing the pager in network adapters right click on it and select properties. Does it say This device is working properly? I am trying to determine if it is a pager or PPS problem, I think it is PPS.

dhmann1811

Premium Subscriber
Don't start PPS just connect the pager. If you are seeing the pager in network adapters right click on it and select properties. Does it say This device is working properly? I am trying to determine if it is a pager or PPS problem, I think it is PPS.
I did exactly what you suggested and yes, it says, “this device is working properly”.

Status
Not open for further replies.