• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

G5 two tone paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
I'm debating on ordering a G5 to carry for the FD but have been courious about the two tone paging aspect. Can any one provide a video of a G5 activating for a two tone alert?

Thanks

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

sfd119

I guess I don't have a video of it, but it works just fine. In fact, I can have multiple tones on one "knob" and what not. I use it as my primary pager now instead of the department one.

ZapBugs

Warning... 2 tone is on an analog freq only. Not enabled on p25.

So for me, it fails miserably because the analog paging system is very weak where I am located.
But the digital signal is very solid but paging is unsupported.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
We have 5 analog paging sites here in my county so that's not a concern. I was curious if it's as loud as the Minitor, from what I can see it does not have a standard "beep" you find on the minitors

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
We have 5 analog paging sites here in my county so that's not a concern. I was curious if it's as loud as the Minitor, from what I can see it does not have a standard "beep" you find on the minitors

I have both a Unication G5 and Minitor VI here and they are both load; however, the G5 is louder in my opinion than the Motorola VI. As far as the tones, yes, it has the standard Minitor style beep noise that you'd expect but you can also add a host of custom alert tones as well. The biggest thing that I noticed is the tone sampling time on the second tone in the two-tone page. The Motorola Minitor VI alerts almost immediately after sampling the second tone and the alert duration is as long as that tone (say 2 seconds) whereas the G5 sampling time is much longer, almost 1 to 1 1/2 seconds which limits how long the alert tone is. Now, this is adjustable; however, we are finding that some dispatches are cut off in the beginning; so we're still experimenting with this. What Unication engineers should do is fix the tone sampling; I mean if you listen in monitor mode, you'll hear just how long the G5 waits to activate it's alert from the second tone; crazy delayed in my opinion when compared to the gold standard Motorola Minitors... On a positive note, the receiver in the G5 blows away that in the Minitor VI as far as sensitivity; however, with additional sensitivity come poor selectivity; we've had several instances where the G5 falsed on another departments tones; we've never had this with ANY of a our Minitor VI pagers.

These are just my thoughts as we experiment with the Unication G5 when compared directly next to a Motorola Minitor VI and yes, before anyone comments, both pagers are running the latest firmware from their respective manufactures and we've been testing them in real world environment as well as lab environment with a General Dynamics Communication Service Monitor. The hopes is that later firmware will correct a few shortcomings of the G5; it's a good pager, but the problem with the discussions on RadioReference is that their users are looking at this device from a scanner perspective and not what it's original design was for, and that's a public-safety grade pager that give the added bonus of a scanner.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I will upload a video on Youtube shortly of my G5, the default tone is a long tone that can be found in the Minitor, however the Standard Minitor tone is not in the G5 by default.

You can however upload a MP3 or WAV file into the page to use as your tones.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
That's the main issue I'm running into is most the information I can find is more from the scanner aspect. This be used as my main fire pager. As a captain I have a dept issued P25 radio but don't 1) always have it on me and 2) this would make monitoring our ops channel enroute a whole lot easier.

I also work for 911 so bringing this to monitor the highway patrol is a plus.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
That's the main issue I'm running into is most the information I can find is more from the scanner aspect. This be used as my main fire pager. As a captain I have a dept issued P25 radio but don't 1) always have it on me and 2) this would make monitoring our ops channel enroute a whole lot easier.

I also work for 911 so bringing this to monitor the highway patrol is a plus.

This G5 will do exactly what you want; basically, at least at the moment we are doing something similar. I have Mode A switch programmed to monitor the two-tone paging dispatch conventional frequency and then when dispatched to a call, I switch to Mode B, which is Project-25 trunked radio system and only scanning the talkgroups related to my dispatch, Mode C is a wider area and so on down the knob sections (example: fire only, then fire & ems, then fire, ems, police, etc). You can also have multiple zones as well for much larger area scanning. Just remember conventional two-tone cannot be scanned with Project-25 trunking in the same selector switch; this is mostly because of affiliation times to the control channel.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
I've been messing with the programming and so far it appears I can do exactly what I want. I wished it had the ability to decode pocsag alpha pages.

KO4RJX

Premium Subscriber
Ordered the G5 through Rays Pagers with free shipping. Still interested in the alerting video if you got time.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
The Test 3 corresponds to Tone 3 in the pager and so on, sorry I thought about it later. I could have labeled them Tone 1-8 instead of Test 1-8

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
I am using the newest software. I have not gone through ll the tones before so I am not sure if they have changed.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Not that I know of, I did check the programming to make sure I didn't select the wrong tone set.

Status
Not open for further replies.