Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge: Wildfire

Status
Not open for further replies.

bg_nashville

If you are in the Nashville area, THP Knoxville District and TEMA are are very active on the Tennessee Tower site.

zachgallop

THP Knoxville District has changed to Dispatch 2 Encrypted for the wildfire. TEMA, TACN TN DHS OPS 1 is also busy with Firefighters from Cleveland & Athens, Blount Sheriff is busy helping with CFS, TN Health with Med Link 2, Knoxville Fire Channel 6 is busy with Karns VFD and KFD, and National Park Service is all very busy. But no peep out of the older Sevier county systems or channels. I also had a new tgid pop up on TACN and Knox County system which i think is Karns Fire Talkgroups they have some kind of custom made xts5000s that are all band. Forestry is busy as well.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Be a good stress test for the county comms given the diversity of platforms to see if interop is capable. Really bad scene up there with a lot at stake.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
THP Knoxville District has changed to Dispatch 2 Encrypted for the wildfire. TEMA, TACN TN DHS OPS 1 is also busy with Firefighters from Cleveland & Athens, Blount Sheriff is busy helping with CFS, TN Health with Med Link 2, Knoxville Fire Channel 6 is busy with Karns VFD and KFD, and National Park Service is all very busy. But no peep out of the older Sevier county systems or channels. I also had a new tgid pop up on TACN and Knox County system which i think is Karns Fire Talkgroups they have some kind of custom made xts5000s that are all band. Forestry is busy as well.

Karns has all new radios APX VHF/700-800 not XTS as the XTS are retiring and has new lic mods coming for P25 TRS capabilities and they will be able to run TACN, KCTRS and conventional. Most of Knox County is getting upgraded for the switch to TACN.

Last edited by a moderator:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber

What were new KCPS TRS and TACN TGIDs?

zachgallop

Rural Metro EMS and all county fire angencies are staying vhf. Because of budget issues with the rescue squad, rural metro, and seymour fire. The only agencies that will be switching is the ones on the current trunking system.Karns has KCPS, TACN, capabilities for years before the apx was made all in one radio. They still use xts radios daily. I know some people there. They only have 6 apx radios for now. Which is not enough for everybody. Karns already has like three talkgroups of there own right now. I didn't take note of them. I have the karns kcps tgids wrote down somewhere for when president Obama visited. I think KFD is also using TACN today.

Last edited:

zachgallop

Nashville is enroute with Communications equitment to the fire. Sevier county with there new system is not very interopable with almost everybody else around here with the exception of the smart one Pigeon Forge PD. Also all thp traffic for the fire is on DISPATCH 1 and all over traffic has moved to Dispatch 2.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
My radio is out in the vehicle, but all of that makes sense. Not to get too far off the subject, but while Sevier County's NXDN radios essentially make them an island for primary comms there are plenty of Mutual Aid technologies (VTNMA, UTNMA, 8TNMA, cross-band repeaters etc) other than TACN that should allow them to be interoperable, but glad someone is providing equipment.

NIFC has a radio cache too, but it's Federal: https://www.nifc.gov/aboutNIFC/about_main.html

ki4lev

For those not aware, there's also a wild fire thread going over on the Federal monitoring forum. Lots of good current frequency info for the east TN, west NC area. US forestry service etc. I was in the area last week and took along my Uniden 396xt connected to a Wilson 2 meter magnet mount. Heard several air tankers talking to a dispatcher in Asheville.

ButchGone

Plenty of traffic on TN Dept of Homeland Security interop groups on TACN, hearing the Chattanooga area fire companies working firegrounds up there on the Chattanooga cell.
BG..

n4yek

I know this is a bit late but this is the first chance I have had to get on here lately.
All of the fire operations for outside agencies were using UCALL41 (or UTAC41 which ever way you want to refer to it) and Rescue Squad/Ambulance were using UCALL43.

zachgallop

I know this is a bit late but this is the first chance I have had to get on here lately.
All of the fire operations for outside agencies were using UCALL41 (or UTAC41 which ever way you want to refer to it) and Rescue Squad/Ambulance were using UCALL43.

I heard a lot of outside fire agencies also using TACN DHS D3 Ops 1 and 2 with THP Command with checking in with different fire zones and people checking hotspots.

zachgallop

Also THP District 1 is still using Dispatch 2 for main operations as of today with still no Traffic on Dispatch 1 unless its not repeating off any of the towers I am listening too. I have even monitored greentop near the fire nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.