• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GE Orion Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

praxidike

Premium Subscriber
That would sound good! Pm me your price and we can set something up! I appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No charge, just PM me your address and I'll get it out tomorrow during lunch.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am still looking for programming for my radios, I have the cable to program but am unable to find the software that will work, I tried the yahoo groups, but it seems that they come up as .000 files and I can not download it.
If anyone can help me out, I would be willing to pay for programming.

FireJustin

Where are you located in TX? I could program them for you, or perhaps point you in the direction of someone who can.

In fact, check your PMs.

FireJustin

Well - it seems I can't PM you (or maybe I can't find the right place to click). Send me your email address and I will get you fixed up.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
A note about programming cables: Are you SURE you have the right one?

The only programming cable that I've ever had that works on an Orion plugs into the big DB-37 connector
on the back of the radio. There is also one that has a HD15 connector (same type as found on a VGA monitor, 15 pins in a DB9 sized shell) that works if you have the Orion radio cable with that option.

There ARE cables that can be connected to the mic connector on an Orion, but I know of two cable types that fit that description and they are for an MDX and for an EDACS 500M. I have both cables and they have never worked on an Orion. I've tried.

I'm giving you this information just in case you think you have the right cable when it's really the wrong one. That's happened to me so it could happen to you, too.

I have been programming my radio all day and everything works really well. I am working out how to separate systems and working out what the T99 functions are..
I'm still working on figuring out a cable to set up an RR feed.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have been programming my radio all day and everything works really well. I am working out how to separate systems and working out what the T99 functions are..

T99 is used for paging. Encode and decode.

Tim

DisasterGuy

I have attached the pinout for the extended option cable. It should assist you in setting up your feed. You can purchase the extended option cable here: https://store.newlondontechnology.com/index.php?productID=422113590

Elroy- The TQ3370 PIM is required if you use the TQ3377 programming cable. You can get away without using the PIM if you use a TQ3409 (CA101288V15) cable. We just use the former since the TQ3370 is useful for alignments anyway.

Attachments

• Orion.jpg
    Orion.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 1,744

DisasterGuy

ok, attachment didn't come out quite as clean as I would like however the following pins will be of the most interest to you:

VOLUME HI - RADIO PIN 37 / EXT Option Cable PIN 18
AUDIO LO- RADIO PIN 12 / EXT Option Cable PIN 12
OUT1 (CORE) - RADIO PIN 22 / EXT Option Cable PIN 22

In the event you want to interface to it to transmit:

MIC HI - RADIO PIN 11 / EXT Option Cable PIN 11
DIG GROUND - RADIO PIN 1 / EXT Option Cable PIN 1
INP1 (PTT) - RADIO PIN 21 / EXT Option Cable PIN 21

Thanks for all the info. I am going to attempt to make the cable using a standard pin setting. I would like to launch a feed by June. Work has been keeping me to busy to enjoy the programming.

k1zxx

Premium Subscriber
chop shop

i have attached the pinout for the extended option cable. It should assist you in setting up your feed. You can purchase the extended option cable here: https://store.newlondontechnology.com/index.php?productid=422113590

elroy- the tq3370 pim is required if you use the tq3377 programming cable. You can get away without using the pim if you use a tq3409 (ca101288v15) cable. We just use the former since the tq3370 is useful for alignments anyway.
can this cable be used as a programming cable if you modded it to the correct pinouts? Rf guys want 70$ for the tq-3409?
Seems that if you take your time this should work if you put it together with the rs232 ???????
Any one ??????????????????

DisasterGuy

There are two programming cables for the Orion, one requires the PIM and the other doesn't. Both connect to the DB37.

DisasterGuy

Here is the TQ-3409. I wouldn't use the option cable to try to mod to program.
umahy3ab.jpg

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Is there a pinout available for this specific TQ3409 cable? Maybe I'm blind (probably the case) but I've looked and looked and cannot find anything.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
The cable is basically all 37 pins straight thru. You can actually solder 2 DB37 back to back and just add 3 wires to a DB9.

Pin 2 to Pin 3 on DB9
Pin 3 to Pin 2 on DB9
Pin 1 to Pin5/Shield on DB9

Or you can make a straight programming cable. Just need a male DB37 and female DB9:

DB9 DB37
2----3
3----2
5----1
/----12
\----14

Hope that makes sense!

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
In case it wasn't clear, jumper 12 to 14 to enable programming mode on power up. Works with all Orion/M7100.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
I guess it's a good thing I joked about that. Wasn't sure about the pins 12 and 14. I just acquired 2 vhf onions last night and they just look cool so there's reason enough to put them on the air.

I'll solder up a db37 to db9 cable today.

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I built mine a few years ago, there is a slight chance that pins 2 and 3 need to be flipped but i honestly can't remember. I've built probably dozens of cables for various radios and some require the TX/RX to be flipped and some don't. I'd test it quick by reading the personality out before I dressed it up nice and neat. If you run into trouble, I'll take mine apart when I get back and take some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.