General NextGen ? TRX1

Status
Not open for further replies.

donrob36

Ive got all simulcast sites programmed for on my TRX1 with the new NG talkgroups
Alot of the transmissions are digitally garbled ECPD SDSO santee I live in lakeside so im wondering
is it the simulcast causing it or the mix of all sites being turned on
other wise is there a setting on the trx1 that will help this?

Thanks Don

K6CDO

Premium Subscriber
Ive got all simulcast sites programmed for on my TRX1 with the new NG talkgroups
Alot of the transmissions are digitally garbled ECPD SDSO santee I live in lakeside so im wondering
is it the simulcast causing it or the mix of all sites being turned on
other wise is there a setting on the trx1 that will help this?

Thanks Don

What antenna are you using, Don? There are transmit sites on Cowles Mtn and Rattlesnake Peak, and the garble may be contention between the two sites at your location. Sometimes less is better.

Don

donrob36

What antenna are you using, Don? There are transmit sites on Cowles Mtn and Rattlesnake Peak, and the garble may be contention between the two sites at your location. Sometimes less is better.

Don
Just got my Whistler 800 mhz port tuned antenna today Also Ive locked out all sites but South. still garbled

KI6AOK

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, NextGen doesn’t appear to play well with omnidirectional antennas. I highly recommend trying a yagi pointed at the nearest site. It made a huge difference for me on NextGen. I’m using a cheap yagi marketed as a cell phone booster. Search for “Phonetone” 800 MHz yagi on that big river site. Less than 20 bucks and it really cleaned up the signal, surprisingly.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
It's the TRX...I have a TRX2, and starig at the antenna array on top of Cowels, SD City 700 and NextGen are 100% complete and total digital garbled junk, no matter what antenna, or setting. My older WS1098's, which look identical, receive both sustems 100% clear, no LSM distortion at all, same antennas tested. See the thread below for the suspected cause of TRX LSM issues.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I used a little flat stamped metal cell phone yagi made by Wilson...it was compact, and very importantly, it was LIGHT WEIGHT, making mounting it indoors a lot easier. I had mine mounted on a cardboard tube I bought an antenna in, slid over an NMO puck antenna on a mag mount...just clamped the little sucker around the cardboard and swiveled it for max RCS North site signal :)

Unfortunately, NextGen doesn’t appear to play well with omnidirectional antennas. I highly recommend trying a yagi pointed at the nearest site. It made a huge difference for me on NextGen. I’m using a cheap yagi marketed as a cell phone booster. Search for “Phonetone” 800 MHz yagi on that big river site. Less than 20 bucks and it really cleaned up the signal, surprisingly.

celbaseman

Feed Provider
I have the TRX 2 mounted in my pick up truck. My main reason for using this radio is the ability to remote the control head (are you listening uniden?????). The main issue I have had with this radio that the squelch needs to be set at about 9 out of 14 I believe. This setting keeps non-trunked channels from blowing the squelch. I have noticed when listening to a TG on sometimes it will be garbled. I have paused the scan, basically locking on to the TG I am interested in monitoring, and turning the squelch down to min. AT this setting the conversation on that TG is much clearer. I have noticed this on the NGRCS, Old RCS, SD 700 and SD 800. Problem is, I can only listen to the one TG.

What I do not understand with this radio is why the radio blows squelch on non-trunked channels. All of the channels I have programmed in have a CTCSS tone set. Probably, even with the CTCSS set and the squelch set to min, the scanner would probably be slowed down on those channels trying to find a tone.

The other issue I am looking into is how the near by LTE and Cell sites are raising the AGC in my radios and causing them to be less sensitive.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Generally, NextGen sounds better than RCS, especially the mobiles.

But a few of the dispatch centers sound like crap, especially El Cajon PD.

Try listening to the AMR dispatcher on 14M.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.