Gettin High

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

After alot of hard work and alot of fun my tower is up. In the following pics you will find a 50 foot total height Rohn 25G tower. The tower contains a AS-1405 225-400Mhz log periodic that has been tweaked to be mounted tower top. Below that antenna is a 900Mhz yagi for undisclosed purposes:). Down the tower is a scantenna that will soon be taken taken down. (I hate scantennas). And futher down the tower there is a PAR SWL HF longwire. And soon to be mounted at the top of the tower will be my newest antenna that is being built by the guys at KMA antenna as we speak. It is a 12 foot boom 225-400Mhz log periodic antenna that was originally designed for Northop. All of the directional antennas are turned by a CDE Ham III rotor. The tower is set in a 4 foot square hole that contains a bit more than a yard of concrete and heavy rebar cage. The ground system that is not yet complete is a series of 4 10 foot ground rods all bonded to the service ground point of the home. A proper ground is very important. So far performance has increased. With better height and being able to turn the antennas I can see a good increase in range. And special thanks to Brent or on Radioreference you know him as "123". We worked till after dark tonight hanging antennas.

Here are a few pics here and follow the link for all the pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25889279@N08/?saved=1

Jody

Last edited:

zguy1243

lugoffman said:
looking to do somthing like that about how much am i looking at price wise

$1,000 will get a bare 40 foot Rohn 25G in the air done right with all new parts. That includes concrete, grounding, anf tower and all hardware.

lugoffman

zguy1243 said:
$1,000 will get a bare 40 foot Rohn 25G in the air done right with all new parts. That includes concrete, grounding, anf tower and all hardware.

man thats not bad i was thing more do you got a way to order or some type of info i could get on it for when im ready to buy one

N1BHH

I would get more than just one ground rod for that. You might try getting some bare #2 awg copper wire and use an edger at an angle and a broom handle to push the wire into the ground, then tamp it down. Should have several pieces, otherwise, a good job. You need more antennas up there.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Zguy,
Great job on the tower and is done perfectly. Nice and clean. One question, what is the PVC pipe beside the tower leg with the little rain hood, for cables?
Again awesome job, wish I was there to help you guys but looks like you and 123 did not need any. By the way, great pics 123.
Take care
Ron

Last edited:

Bill_White

No guy cables?

I don't see any...
You are braver than I..
There is NO WAY, I would climb a 50 foot G-25 without guy cables.:eek:
None, zip, zero, nada.
Remember me in your will.:p

DANGER
No Tower is self supporting during construction! Always use temporary guys on the top most section,
and install permanent guy wires as soon as a guy point height is reached.

zguy1243

Its not a 50 foot tower. There is only 36 feet of actual tower above the pad. The mast did account for the rest before it was cut shorter.. No worries here. I am within Rohn specs.

Thanks for the advice though.

Jody

Bill_White said:
I don't see any...
You are braver than I..
There is NO WAY, I would climb a 50 foot G-25 without guy cables.:eek:
None, zip, zero, nada.
Remember me in your will.:p

DANGER
No Tower is self supporting during construction! Always use temporary guys on the top most section,
and install permanent guy wires as soon as a guy point height is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.