Getting my modified 10 meter radio to work on 11 meters.

merlin

Im late for this (usual) but the 11 meter CB band went under the bus decades ago. The only interest the FCC has is new radio manufacturers compliance. They will take notice if you are causing interferance to other services or being reported.
I'm not a gambler, but I will bet 30% of any radios you hear on CB are non compliant or otherwise illegal for CB use.
I know little about the Anytone AT-5555n but seems they are well built. A downfall is poor audio on SSB as a fault of the synthesizer design.
Supposedly, they do great on 11 meter FM and AM. 6 meters makes them fine for a tech license.
I see the new model is capable of 60 watts, still far from enough power to get one noticed but enough to work a little skip.
As for mods, I have no clue what their limitations are or recourse after a mod.
With an amateur licese, it could put you on a spot because 'You Know the Rules', but I really believe you have to be one bad apple to get looked over by the FCC.
For the OP, you have your license, I would just concentrate on future upgrading and enjoy the hobby. Avoid the Chikens%it Band.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Holders of Technician licenses are allowed to operate on any amateur radio band above 30 MHz. That includes the 6m band (50-54 MHz).

KQ4OFQ

I forgot to add that I am limited to ssb phone by choice, which then doesn’t include 6 meters, as I understand it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Amateur radio operators, including those holding Technician licenses, can use any mode, including SSB, on 6 meters.

merlin

Except the bottom 100 KHz for CW only, all of 6 meters is open to RTTY/Data/ and imaging. FM, AM included.
May be a good way to get your feet wet with FT8.

PreferredCustomer

Premium Subscriber
Except the bottom 100 KHz for CW only, all of 6 meters is open to RTTY/Data/ and imaging. FM, AM included.
May be a good way to get your feet wet with FT8.

Yes, FT8 works well for 6M, but right now, it is pretty dead. (Dead until about May)

I set up my 6M station last spring, and worked 35 states, and 10 countries with FT8.

I have a modest station, with 100 watts, and a three element beam (Yagi) at 25 feet. Using an IC-7300.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I forgot to add that I am limited to ssb phone by choice, which then doesn’t include 6 meters, as I understand it.

You should spend some time looking over this sheet.

As a Technician, you can use any of the band segments marked with N (novice, old license class) and T (technician class). Keep in mind that your amateur radio license only gives you access to amateur radio frequencies, no other frequencies/bands are granted by a ham license.

Blackswan73

Im late for this (usual) but the 11 meter CB band went under the bus decades ago. The only interest the FCC has is new radio manufacturers compliance. They will take notice if you are causing interferance to other services or being reported.
I'm not a gambler, but I will bet 30% of any radios you hear on CB are non compliant or otherwise illegal for CB use.
I know little about the Anytone AT-5555n but seems they are well built. A downfall is poor audio on SSB as a fault of the synthesizer design.
Supposedly, they do great on 11 meter FM and AM. 6 meters makes them fine for a tech license.
I see the new model is capable of 60 watts, still far from enough power to get one noticed but enough to work a little skip.
As for mods, I have no clue what their limitations are or recourse after a mod.
With an amateur licese, it could put you on a spot because 'You Know the Rules', but I really believe you have to be one bad apple to get looked over by the FCC.
For the OP, you have your license, I would just concentrate on future upgrading and enjoy the hobby. Avoid the Chikens%it Band.

Merlin I sincerely believe your estimate is somewhat low. I personally would estimate the percentage to be around 60%. CB shops sell a lot of 2950/70 and clone radios, as well as Galaxys, Strykers, etc. when I was into CB, I personally used Ranger 2950, AR 3500, Galaxy 99, and even a ICOM 751a as a base. To get away from the melee on the standard 40 required going above or below. And if I really wanted to reach out and touch someone, I had a 12 tube D/A Phantom. That was in the 80’s and 90’s

B.S.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The AT-5555Nii, which is also the QT-60, works fine on 11m, after the mod. While it is not within the service rules, the radio is a decent piece of equipment. Don't be a tool when on the air, regardless of the equipment or service, and you will not get noticed in a negative manner.

LCRay

The AT-5555Nii, which is also the QT-60, works fine on 11m, after the mod. While it is not within the service rules, the radio is a decent piece of equipment. Don't be a tool when on the air, regardless of the equipment or service, and you will not get noticed in a negative manner.
What he said

merlin

Merlin I sincerely believe your estimate is somewhat low. I personally would estimate the percentage to be around 60%. CB shops sell a lot of 2950/70 and clone radios, as well as Galaxys, Strykers, etc. when I was into CB, I personally used Ranger 2950, AR 3500, Galaxy 99, and even a ICOM 751a as a base. To get away from the melee on the standard 40 required going above or below. And if I really wanted to reach out and touch someone, I had a 12 tube D/A Phantom. That was in the 80’s and 90’s

B.S.
Those older rangers were not such a bad radio, My first CB was a Pace 2300 for mobile. Base though was ham gear (Heathkit TX1 Apachee)
then went military surplus. Nothing more than 2 tubes. A pair of 6146Bs, The FRT-24, an 8877, and big Bertha, a 4CX5000A.
I went to Kenwood TS-440s in mobile, full HF TX, narrow filters. It sits here now, waiting an antenna install.

Golay

I have an Anytone quad5 that I switch between my shack at home and my pickup, and am able to get 11 meter freqs. I know which freqs correspond with which cb channels, have my 102” whip correctly installed, but cannot get any responses when I tx for a radio check. Clearly there’s a missing piece of the puzzle. Elmer assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Are you able to make 10 meter contacts with it? I'm thinking that's Step One. Knock out some successful 10 meter contacts,
Good chance you can't transmit on 11. Yeah you can hear outside of 10 meters, but you're TX disabled outside of the band and don't even know it. Put a power meter on it.

adhoc

Truthfully I am unaware of the legalities of using a 10 meter radio on 11 meters, I assumed that since cbs don’t require licensure it was a non issue.

You can modify a CB to use on 10 meters Amateur, but cannot modify Amateur gear for 11 meters.

CB gear has to remain stock.