Getting the frequency

Janet1963

I just want to understand if a entity goes digital is there any way that the scanner will be able to get the frequency? I know that agencies have done this before and the frequency was able to be heard. Thank you in advance for answering me.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I just want to understand if a entity goes digital is there any way that the scanner will be able to get the frequency? I know that agencies have done this before and the frequency was able to be heard. Thank you in advance for answering me.

Depends on the mode and the scanner. The scanner must be capable of receiving the mode whether P25, P25 Phase 2, DMR, Pro Voice, or NXDN in order for it to hear the traffic.

Janet1963

Depends on the mode and the scanner. The scanner must be capable of receiving the mode whether P25, P25 Phase 2, DMR, Pro Voice, or NXDN in order for it to hear the traffic.
Well they r saying the one agencies has gone digital and we won't be able to get them, is that correct?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Your analog scanner my lock in on the digital frequency but you won’t here clear speech. You will need to upgrade to a digital scanner. If you plan on upgrading, do your homework Before buying. Check system type and number of antennas in your area. If you have allot, you may need the SDS series for simulcast transmissions. If only a few, could get by with a 436/536. If you know someone in your area thats into scanners, talk with them for suggestions. Since your location is not listed, best to go to your state forum on RR for better feed back. Good luck.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Well they r saying the one agencies has gone digital and we won't be able to get them, is that correct?
You need to share what agency you are talking about or your location, so we can check for things like encryption or simulcast issues. There is no one answer fits all in these situations.

Janet1963

You need to share what agency you are talking about or your location, so we can check for things like encryption or simulcast issues. There is no one answer fits all in these situations.
Sure it's the sheriff's office in Imperial Valley El Centro

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
They are on a P25 Phase 2 system, it does not appear to be simulcast, depending on where you are located, but check site nearest you and see if there is more than one tower shown. Also the talk groups do not indicate encryption is being used (De or DE in listing). Hopefully someone local will respond here. That said you should be able to hear it with a P25 Phase 2 scanner.

Janet1963

Your analog scanner my lock in on the digital frequency but you won’t here clear speech. You will need to upgrade to a digital scanner. If you plan on upgrading, do your homework Before buying. Check system type and number of antennas in your area. If you have allot, you may need the SDS series for simulcast transmissions. If only a few, could get by with a 436/536. If you know someone in your area thats into scanners, talk with them for suggestions. Since your location is not listed, best to go to your state forum on RR for better feed back. Good luck.
I listen on my phone from the app, I listen to the California desert, just curious if the scanner person would be able to get it