Glass Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warthog1

Silent Key
Can anyone suggest a decent glass mount 1/4 wave high band and 1/4 wave UHF glass mount antenna.
I would like to keep it to 1/4 wave because of physical length. I am installing radio and scanners in my 1984 Corvette over the winter.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I personally wouldnt stick 2 glass mounts on a corvette, even a C4. Kinda messes up the lines of a nice aero car.

You're sticking with VHF and UHF only? You said radio and scanner. Which band is transmit, and are you reciving on both?

There is a Tram glass mount, around 28 inches, thats dual band vhf/uhf. I wouldnt use it on a transmitter, but it'll work fine as a scanner antenna if you really want a glass mount.
Or, radio shack has a 22 inch glass mount scanner antenna as well.

Warthog1

Silent Key
I was kind of thinking of something like a commercial glass mount. It will be receive only right now, but I can transmit on both UHF & VHF. A commercial 6" whip would do the trick.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
6 inches? I've never seen a glass mount, ham or commercial, that small that covers uhf or vhf.

Most multi band glass mounts are between 20 and 30 inches long

Warthog1

Silent Key
You are correct about the multi band, but I have seen a glass mount 1/4 wave UHF antenna a few times on fleet vehicles. At the time I didn't think to take a closer look at them.
Well, I have until April anyway before I get the car out.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
6 inches? I've never seen a glass mount, ham or commercial, that small that covers uhf or vhf.

Most multi band glass mounts are between 20 and 30 inches long
I modified a Radio Shack glass mount to 6" 10 years ago and it worked very well on VH/UHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.