Glendale CA Programming help

petergluck

Hello...Long time listener, first time caller!
I have a Pro96 scanner. Using both Arc96 and Win96 software, i have used the RadioReference download function to program the setup for Glendale/Burbank.
I can not seem to get it to work, I do not receive anything. Occasionally the scanner will stop on a frequency but all i hear is static, or sometimes digital sounding garbled voices. I am at a loss. Is there anyone who can please help me troubleshoot this? I feel like it's close, and there is just one setting that needs to be changed! I will be happy to discuss this off-list in greater detail. Thanks!!!

BobFam

I don't know anything about the PRO-96, sorry.

Do you have all the Los Angeles County ICI frequencies and talkgroups for Glendale programmed in? I am in Glendale and have all of the frequencies programmed in for Glendale Police, Fire, Community College, etc,
I have a BCD436HP, use Sentinel and Pro Scan for programming, with an indoor antenna and all work OK except for the few encrypted channels. Do you have all the needed service Types turned on? Bob.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. I'd bet simulcast distortion, your description seems to match it to a T. Big cluster of simulcast cells as shown below, particularly around Glendale so you're likely within listening range of two or more cells. You'd be much better off with a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 if this is a system you intend on monitoring regularly, you're taking a gamble with anything else. Very little is encrypted on the system (mode DE).
1679496792569.png

Last edited:

Engine104

Member since 2005
I also own a Pro-96 and you have to program custom tables in Win96 to get it to work with the ICI system. When I get home from work, I can PM you a screenshot of the tables and/or send you my Win96 programming file, but I think you would need Win96. It's an old app and I am not sure if it is still available.

There is also the element of simulcast distortion, which another person referred to. I get that trying to monitor ICI through the Glendale system. Oat Mt works best for me.

Anyway, let me know.

petergluck

I also own a Pro-96 and you have to program custom tables in Win96 to get it to work with the ICI system. When I get home from work, I can PM you a screenshot of the tables and/or send you my Win96 programming file, but I think you would need Win96. It's an old app and I am not sure if it is still available.

There is also the element of simulcast distortion, which another person referred to. I get that trying to monitor ICI through the Glendale system. Oat Mt works best for me.

Anyway, let me know.
thank you! yes i have Win96 a screenshot or a file would be a great help!

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
I mostly use the Glendale and Montebello Sites. If you use both sites you will pretty much be-able to pickup almost everything on the system.

I do have the South Bay site I scan sometimes too. Good Luck

tsalmrsystemtech

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. I'd bet simulcast distortion, your description seems to match it to a T. Big cluster of simulcast cells as shown below, particularly around Glendale so you're likely within listening range of two or more cells. You'd be much better off with a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200 if this is a system you intend on monitoring regularly, you're taking a gamble with anything else. Very little is encrypted on the system (mode DE).
View attachment 138618
So I do use the BCD996P that works really well but I live 30 to 40 miles away. The SDS-200 works great as well as the Unication G-5 works the best for Simulcasting and sensitivity for being a dual band radio. The G5 just picks up long distance signals really well. I can pickup The SBDCO Fire from 60 to 80 miles away with that radio only. All my other scanners just will not work.