Global Filter Modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfsimmont

Premium Subscriber
I think the most frustrating issue I find with the filters is if you go through the painstaking process of monitoring each site and selecting the proper filter for each system while the scanner is sitting on your desk at home. Taking the scanner out of that area and using while traveling or just going to and from work, those filter settings may not be the best selection across town. Now how in the world are you supposed to be able to select the correct filter for each site while mobile? I would think that the scanner would be able analyze and select the correct filter using the RSSI and D-error readings for where the scanner is at the moment, i.e. the "Auto" setting.

900mhz

I think the most frustrating issue I find with the filters is if you go through the painstaking process of monitoring each site and selecting the proper filter for each system while the scanner is sitting on your desk at home. Taking the scanner out of that area and using while traveling or just going to and from work, those filter settings may not be the best selection across town. Now how in the world are you supposed to be able to select the correct filter for each site while mobile? I would think that the scanner would be able analyze and select the correct filter using the RSSI and D-error readings for where the scanner is at the moment, i.e. the "Auto" setting.
totally agreed. This is why I set up a Unication amplified charger in my vehicle with a G4...end of mobile issues. No messing with filters while operating a motor vehicle.

Ubbe

I would think that the scanner would be able analyze and select the correct filter using the RSSI and D-error readings for where the scanner is at the moment, i.e. the "Auto" setting.
It's a mystery to me how the auto functions works. One of the few things UPMan said about the filters was that auto tries different settings to find one that opens the squelch. Either he did not know the exact operations of it or he just tried to fool us. Any distorted and weak signal will open the squelch. It has to sense the D-error in digital systems and Noise level in analog systems and select the filter that gives the best quality. But noise level jumps around like crazy following the modulation level.

There's one auto for Normal/Invert and another for Wide. The optimum would be if it switched between Normal/Invert/Off and then the same again using IFX enabled, as IFX seems to be the best solution in some situations. But if a wide setting are the best it will not know about it if you do not manually also switch to auto wide. But how to know what auto setting to use, when a "normal" scanner receives conversations, that you do not use in parallell, but not the SDS? Are auto being applied only to a digital trunked control channel and not to the voice channels, that could make the voice channels being interfered and difficult to monitor? I wouldn't think that there is a very advanced AI in the scanner doing the correct selections for you all of the time.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.