GM truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenkeeper

lol

This is what relays are for! Either way, I dig the truck and the radio/install! Cheers!

THANKS!

The author is listed on every page - it's k0bg (call sign, you know?). Check the domain name. He's active on some other forums and consistently provides input and help to people who are doing installs, encouraging them to do them right. Thus his website, created to help.

You are free to do it wrong, though; it's your vehicle and equipment you're risking.

It's just free advice, which is one reason Radio Reference forums exist.

You say so. BTW, call sign and domain name are NOT putting his name to it.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Hahahahahahaha well K0BG is his callsign and Alan Applegate is his name, and neither are hidden (simple to look up). But, nice try... :lol::D:lol:

SCPD

QRT
Cigarette lighter?Seriously?

I've always ran them off the lighter plug, and also never had any issues.

Cigarette lighters get loose,dont give you a good ground,or the best current path to the battery.
Fuses pop and alternator whine,noises happen but if you're happy.....

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I agree that using the cigarette lighter is not a great idea. For everyone saying they power their radios like this and have no issues, I'm sure that's true. But you're creating a situation that can really do some damage to your vehicle. Most cigarette lighter outlets in a car are on a circuit that is also powering other accessory outlets, convenience lights, and other accessories. And while your CB radio probably won't draw more than a few amps, if something were to short or the ground becomes poor and there's a power spike, you risk damaging all the wiring and everything on that circuit.

So yes, 99.9% of the time, you should be fine powering that CB on the cigarette lighter outlet. But if for some reason you draw too many amps, you could destroy the very thin gauge accessory circuit wiring behind the dash. The fuse in the cig plug for the CB may protect the CB itself, but it's not going to prevent damage to anything else on that circuit.

Good lord.

Cigarette plugs are fused, usually, at 20A, some times 10A, but always on a dedicated circuit. I have at times over the years used 50w radios on only a cigarette plug with very few issues. Yes a 50w mobile. Only once I had a plug melt, due to high resistance in the cigarette receptical, due to the cigarette lighter actually being used to light smokes. It was only the plug on the radio cable that got hot and melted and that was a much older truck, probably from 2006 or 2007 model year.

currently I have my TM-V71a on a power point, in my 2014 VW Jetta. NO issues, Even running at 50w.

Is it best to run to the battery? Yes. Is a 3 or 4A CB going to cause a melt down using a cigarette plug? doubtful. In fact 99.999999999999999999999% of the time it will be just fine for a stock 4/12w CB..

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don't understand this statement. The fuse or breaker protecting the lighter socket and anything else on that circuit will be sized to protect the wiring. Saying this another way, the wiring will be of sufficient gauge to handle the load the fuse or breaker will allow. Did I miss something? Thanks.

Bingo. Usually cigarette plugs are also on their own circuit and fuse. especially the power points in modern turcks. callsign_null is out to lunch.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yup, due to it actually being used as a cigarette lighter by the previous driver of one truck I drove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.