GMC Sierra w/Uniden 996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uplink

Just got the 996 in this weekend. I pulled the Spectra head out since I do more listening than talking nowadays. Same dash as the Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban, cut out the storage pocket, DIN size works nicely. For now, I'm just using the AM/FM splitter for the antenna, which I'm not thrilled with. I have overhead restrictions, so I can't put anything too tall unfortunately. I love this scanner, :D THANKS UNIDEN.

Attachments

• GMC996T014.jpg
    GMC996T014.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 11,540
  • GMC996T018.jpg
    GMC996T018.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 8,289
Last edited:

rg65

Premium Subscriber
If the 996 was just available with a black front. The silver looks nice, but your truck (and mine) is all black on the dash.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin
nice job that looks great, did you remove the cd holder and put it where it was at?

Last edited:

Uplink

lowboy654 said:
nice job that looks great, did you remove the cd holder and put it where it was at?

thanks, this truck never had the CD holder, it was just an empty storage pocket, which I cut away with a knife. And yes, I wish Uniden would have made it black too.

:)

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
The black trim around the radio, is that the din sleeve? Did you have any problems as far as the depth and the antenna connection? I have a 2003 silveradio, same dash as you and I've had a 785D in that spot and it was too deep to fit in flush like yours.

Uplink

kingpin said:
The black trim around the radio, is that the din sleeve? Did you have any problems as far as the depth and the antenna connection? I have a 2003 silveradio, same dash as you and I've had a 785D in that spot and it was too deep to fit in flush like yours.
The trim ring is made by Metra and is from Circuit City, and it filled in a small gap on the left and right of the sleeve. Depth is OK, except there is a plastic bump with a hole in the center that hits the external speaker plug in the center of the rear panel. I will have to either cut the bump away or try a right angle connector to hook up my Motorola speaker. Will let you know what happens.

TRIM RING HERE..
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=10340&catOid=-15742&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&BV_SessionID=@@@@1985267964.1150233636@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccjaddidemdgdkcfngcfkmdffhdfgo.0

Last edited:

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
Yep, that bump us what was causuing the problems with me and the antenna connector. I thought long and hard about sawying it off with my Dremmel but didn't. Lemme know how that goes! I pulled the stock radio and pit in a Pioneer MP3 CD player so I have some room under it so if I modify the trim and put the BCT15 there. I had my BCT-8 down there in the pocket and had a hard time viewing it. Now if the 996T has adjustable contrast, I may just put it down there if I can read it.

Thanks for the help

Uplink

kingpin said:

Update on this Jason, a Radio Shack 1/8" Right-Angle Adapter did the trick, Radio slides all the way back, Motorola external speaker sounds great on this scanner. Also, I hooked up the automactic dimmer and tried it for a couple of days. It turns out it goes to the lowest setting, which is TOO dim for my taste, so I disconnected it. There is a 0-15 contrast setting which is helpful. I have it set to 14.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103788&cp=&origkw=right-angle+adapter&kw=right-angle+adapter&parentPage=search

Attachments

• pRS1C-2266435w345.jpg
    pRS1C-2266435w345.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 6,902
Last edited:

Uplink

Added some more pics as an update. The antenna is a Radio Shack glass mount. I know its mounted low on the glass, but I have overhead clearance issues. Works good all-around, and does the job. 800mhz and VHF-Lo are not the best, but thats expected with these antennas.
The GPS is a Garmin GPS18PC, $85 bucks at Amazon.com, and is PLUG-AND-PLAY with the Uniden 996T. :) I had to use a short ribbon type serial extention cable on the back of the scanner because it has the MUCH flatter profile DB9 connectors. The scanner wont slide in flush with the standard DB9 plug. I then ran a standard serial extention cable over to the fuse box on the side of the dash. I coiled up the GPS cables there, and added a cigarette lighter jack. This way I could just unplug and move the GPS18 to another car if I need it for a laptop or palm pilot. Just thought I'd add these pics for those interested.

:wink:

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 6,605
  • antenna2.jpg
    antenna2.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7,080
  • GPS18A.jpg
    GPS18A.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 6,474
Last edited:

Porch

How does it work when the defroster for the glass is on? Do you think the tinting in the glass has any effect? What about the location so close to the center of the glass?

Why am I asking? Because I liked this set up so much I'm going to flatter you by copying it... However, when I looked at the antenna instructions they said put it at least 1.5" from defrost elements (although the instruction pics show it overlapping a defrost element) and don't install on tinted glass as this supposedly messes up the sensitivity.

Have you noticed any problems with reception etc?

Also does the antenna bounce around on the highway much? Where I'd like to install on my car I'm afraid it will strick the paint repeatedly if the antenna is bouncing around too much?

Thanks for any responses....

Porch

Old school scanning started on the front porch with a crystal based scanner.

Uplink

Porch said:
How does it work when the defroster for the glass is on? Do you think the tinting in the glass has any effect? What about the location so close to the center of the glass?

Why am I asking? Because I liked this set up so much I'm going to flatter you by copying it... However, when I looked at the antenna instructions they said put it at least 1.5" from defrost elements (although the instruction pics show it overlapping a defrost element) and don't install on tinted glass as this supposedly messes up the sensitivity.

Have you noticed any problems with reception etc?

Also does the antenna bounce around on the highway much? Where I'd like to install on my car I'm afraid it will strick the paint repeatedly if the antenna is bouncing around too much?

Thanks for any responses....

Porch

Old school scanning started on the front porch with a crystal based scanner.

It's not the best antenna, but it gets the job done fine. Works great on UHF and VHF, and aircraft bands. I wanted wide-band coverage with the minimum height which is always a challenge with trucks. 800 Mhz is not perfect, but could be improved with some low loss cable, instead of the RG58 thats supplied. VHF low-band/6 meters could be better also, but look how small this antenna is compared to a "real" low-band antenna.
Yes, I know about the defrosters, and tint, but I am in a bind due to overhead clearance at my home garage, and parking structure at work, so choices are limited. I haven't tried turning the defroster on, since I never need it here in So Cal.
No, it doesn't bounce around much on the highway. Bottom line is it works fine, I don't notice any major reception problems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.