• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS HT that's also a decent scanner?

Horseflesh

I'm looking for an inexpensive handheld radio that will let me operate legally on GMRS (including the low power FRS channels) while also being a halfway decent wideband scanner, including aircraft. Obviously it should be programmable by PC, hopefully with the Kenwood-style data cable I already have for a Baofeng radio.

The things I have seen so far that look interesting are:
  • Quangsheng UV-K5 (8). There's a replacement firmware project which seems to add a lot of features.
  • Talkpod A36Plus. A reviewer noted it as having better AM performance than the UV-K5 (8).
  • Radtel RT-890. Recommended by a user in a thread here. Can't find much info.
What am I missing? Any recommendations?

I don't suppose any of these kinds of radios do trunking?

I know all these cheap radios have various problems and the YouTube reviews are giving a rosy picture... That's OK. Just looking for decent casual GMRS use plus some scanner cheap thrills.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
"Radtel RT-890. Recommended by a user in a thread here. Can't find much info."?

Horseflesh

Well yeah I found the product page, but no detailed user reviews, which are pretty important.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I'm looking for an inexpensive handheld radio that will let me operate legally on GMRS (including the low power FRS channels) while also being a halfway decent wideband scanner, including aircraft. Obviously it should be programmable by PC, hopefully with the Kenwood-style data cable I already have for a Baofeng radio.

• Quangsheng UV-K5 (8). There's a replacement firmware project which seems to add a lot of features.
I'm not the radio police, but since your post mentioned "operate legally on GMRS..." I'll point out the Quangsheng UV-K5 would technically not be legal for GMRS, let alone FRS because it doesn't have the requisite type acceptances.

The UV-K5 will receive analog, but its scan rate is relatively slow and, like most other CCR's, its front end isn't very selective and will suffer desense in a high signal environment. It would probably be fine in a rural environment with less ambient RF.

Horseflesh

Good point, thanks. I was thinking of the Talkpod, which does seem to have type acceptance.

It's OK to be the radio police sometimes. :)

steve9570

Member WSAG-457 -KB1-KZW- KCP-2441 CB-WA1-BZG
Premium Subscriber
I have the Radtel and a Radioddity and Like the Radioddiyty a lot better.
The Radtel has a Loud squelch tail that drives me nuts. And I can program more fqs it to the Radioddity.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Good point, thanks. I was thinking of the Talkpod, which does seem to have type acceptance.

It's OK to be the radio police sometimes. :)

There isn't one radio that is going to do that all. FCC rules prevent that.

Two radios is the way to go. Any of these transceivers, even the cheap Chinese radios, won't scan well. The one linked to above won't cover 700/800MHz where a lot of the public safety stuff is in some areas, and it's analog only, so you won't be able to listen to digital system, and you absolutely won't be able to listen to trunked systems.

Get a decent GMRS radio from Midland, much easier to learn, much easier to set up. A good one will cover the FRS frequencies (they are shared), and it'll meet the FCC requirements.

Then get yourself a decent scanner. A purpose build scanner will scan faster and provide a lot more capability than anything else. Plus, you'll be able to get much more assistance programming it correctly.

Any radio that is capable of transmitting on FRS or GMRS —must— meet the FCC requirements and have a legit FCC ID on the radio that, when looked up on the FCC OET page, show the correct type acceptance for FRS or GMRS. There are no exceptions to those rules, although those with low/no integrity will say it doesn't matter.

Horseflesh

Two radios is the way to go. Any of these transceivers, even the cheap Chinese radios, won't scan well.

I know in my heart you are right, I just had to hear it, haha. I already have a GMRS HT that's good 'nuff for now, and even legal, so I can focus on the scanner side.

Last time I bought a scanner was a Bearcat 780 XLT in 2002, and before that an AOR AR8000 in the 90s so... Things have probably changed a lot.

rf_patriot200

• Talkpod A36Plus. A reviewer noted it as having better AM performance than the UV-K5 (8).
  • Radtel RT-890. Recommended by a user in a thread here. Can't find much info.
What am I missing? Any recommendations?

I don't suppose any of these kinds of radios do trunking?

I know all these cheap radios have various problems and the YouTube reviews are giving a rosy picture... That's OK. Just looking for decent casual GMRS use plus some scanner cheap thrills.
Look at the TID Radio H3 or H8. They are Both Under $100, have Bluetooth programming using an app called ODMaster, and will operate on GMRS or 2m/70cm Or can be Unlocked from the keypad. Before the "Gods" say anything about legalities of this, I'm wondering myself how a FCC certification was had but there are TONS of reviews of these on Youtube. They do well on monitoring aircraft as well,even with 8.33khz. These little toys, are Chocked full of surprises.

gman4661

Here are some features regarding the TID Radio H-3 as I understand them:

Programable via radio keypad, Kenwood cable, USB cable or Bluetooth.
CHIRP compatible.
It's compact and reportedly has a hefty feel to it.
Can be ordered with two batteries for just a few dollars more.
Monitors air band and I think there is an available air specific antenna.
It has three modes of operation: ham, GMRS and open (unlocked).
Has the usual CCR feature such as flashlight, FM broadcast monitoring, etc.
The battery is USB rechargeable.

I think the GMRS mode is preprogrammed with GMRS, FRS and NOAA channels and is supposedly type accepted.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think the GMRS mode is preprogrammed with GMRS, FRS and NOAA channels and is supposedly type accepted.

Get the FCC ID (should be on the back of the radio) and run it through the FCC OET page and confirm that it is. FCC ID Search

There are a lot of Chinese Junk radios out there that do not have it. The Chinese do not care about US rules and regulations, all they want is your money and will sell you any steaming turd to get it.

Integrity is important.

a727469

Premium Subscriber
I just ordered this ..

BAOFENG UV-17R PLUS​

from Radioddity
Ham not GMRs(might be modifiable, yes I know maybe not “legal”) but almost the same as the Radtel RT-890. They had 10% off and free shipping yesterday..seems great for the price, I can use it to monitor almost everything non-digital..also fairly new release. Although I am a licensed ham, I will be using this 99% to receive not transmit so I am not concerned about the transmit purity.

Horseflesh

Just looked up the H3, it seems very nice. It's approximately the same coverage and cost as the UV-K5(8). But, the UV-K5(8) has an open source firmware project which looks great. BUT, it also reportedly has not great AM reception.

I found one mention of H3 airband quality in a video and the guy said it was better than the K5 though. But he also said it puts out nothing on UHF low power which if true is a big problem.

@mmckenna is right, a separate scanner is the way to go, but there will be times when it will be nice to have a better scanner inside my GMRS HT for when I do not want to have 2 radios with me. So I still might get one of these CCRs while I continue to research a proper modern scanner.

gman4661

Here are a few more things to consider regarding the TID Radio H-3 (as I understand them):

Higher capacity battery (with USB charging).
May come with an earpiece.
I think the firmware can be updated via USB cable.

Being a CCR, I wouldn't be surprised if the wattage may vary from radio to radio.

Yes, a scanner will scan much faster and may be the better way to go. On the other hand, in case you need to communicate...

Horseflesh

I am sure I will end up with a dedicated scanner as well, but when I have only a $30 GMRS radio with me, it's a question of how much fun can I make it and there are a few good options. "Good" being relative since these are all CCRs!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It has three modes of operation: ham, GMRS and open (unlocked).
With these "multi-mode" CCRs, they may have an FCC equipment authorization for Part 95E while in the GMRS mode. While in GMRS mode, they probably won't transmit on amateur radio or MURS frequencies. Take them out of the GMRS mode and their FCC equipment authorization no longer applies.

wscf455

Premium Subscriber
Look at the TID Radio H3 or H8. They are Both Under $100, have Bluetooth programming using an app called ODMaster, and will operate on GMRS or 2m/70cm Or can be Unlocked from the keypad. Before the "Gods" say anything about legalities of this, I'm wondering myself how a FCC certification was had but there are TONS of reviews of these on Youtube. They do well on monitoring aircraft as well,even with 8.33khz. These little toys, are Chocked full of surprises.
I have that radio but having issues programming i basically do not know how to operate the modes or codes of radio

rf_patriot200

Just looked up the H3, it seems very nice. It's approximately the same coverage and cost as the UV-K5(8). But, the UV-K5(8) has an open source firmware project which looks great. BUT, it also reportedly has not great AM reception.

I found one mention of H3 airband quality in a video and the guy said it was better than the K5 though. But he also said it puts out nothing on UHF low power which if true is a big problem.

@mmckenna is right, a separate scanner is the way to go, but there will be times when it will be nice to have a better scanner inside my GMRS HT for when I do not want to have 2 radios with me. So I still might get one of these CCRs while I continue to research a proper modern scanner.
I do a LOT of scanning with my portables also, and I've been pretty satisfied with my Yaesu FT70D since it's C4FM, but has a pretty sensitive receiver even Outside of the 2m/70cm bands. Granted, it's Not a Dedicated GMRS radio or type accepted as one, but for those of us who hold Both licenses it does well.