• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

gmrs/marine questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delivers1234

hi.

is this acceptable on a tera-505 radio? I was going to add TX to the marine channels but I think it may be illegal? unless its an emergency. im always walking on the shore and i'd like to monitor the frequencies. or should i get a dual radio...

im also not sure on the high/low power specs on the gmrs.

and advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• Tera505.PNG
    Tera505.PNG
    30.9 KB · Views: 36

nd5y

Marine radios must be Part 80 certified.
GMRS radios must be Part 95 certified.
I'm not aware of any radios that have both.
If the radio has both certifications then the radio would be legal but as far as I know to legally transmit on marine frequencies from a hand held that isn't associated with a ship station you would need a marine utility license.
Also the operator would need a GMRS license for GMRS frequencies.

CaptDan

You are fine listening with any radio you want to.

Adding the transmit capability is another whole other issue. If you were to add it and never transmit - again you would most likely never have an issue.

The first issue would be an "accidental" transmission on one of the Marine frequencies. The USCG equipment is pretty sophisticated and can come close to pin pointing exactly where the transmissions are originating from. In my experience, they are not inclined to be happy with a "woops my bad" explanation for illegal transmissions on a frequency you are not authorized to use.

That being said, back in 2012 during the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, in NJ there were some folks who used their Marine Band radios to contact the USCG for help from their homes out on the barrier island(s) - basically Point Pleasant south to South Seaside Park. For several days, it was the only means of communication from several areas on the islands to the mainland and responding rescue units. This was truly an emergency and no one questioned the use of the Marine Band Frequencies. As far as I know, no one ever questioned what brand radio was used or if it was certified for the Marine Band. It was accepted as a true emergency, no one abused the band. I believe those "true emergencies" are very rare. I do not know of any other situation where the Marine Band frequencies were used by land based units, I'm sure there could be, I am just not aware.

Bottom line, I'd think twice about programming that radio to transmit on the Marine Band Frequencies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Under the heading of 'no one will likely ever know'….

A GROL license is also required to program marine radios. That's if you really want to toe the line.

And, yes, a Part 80 radio is required, if you want to toe said line.

Just program it for RX only, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

As for GMRS power levels, what was your specific question on those?

wtp

if an emergency takes place and you have no other means of getting help and then changing the radio is one thing.
changing it before and 'just in case' i believe would get you in trouble.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
im always walking on the shore and i'd like to monitor the frequencies.

Since I'm in your area, I can pass on some info...
Don't be surprised if you don't hear much. Most use cell phones. You may hear some chatter, but don't expect much. You may periodically hear the USCG making announcements.

I've actually heard much more commercial fishing traffic in the area using 146.415, a 2 meter amateur radio frequency. They think that no one else can hear them and discuss where the fishing is hot and where it isn't. They don't want other fishing boats to hear, so they don't use VHF marine. The run pretty hot and heavy for a while, I think around the season opener, then it dies off.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Most radios have some way for any channel you wish to be receive only. Either by not entering a transmit frequency or checking somewhere within the software for receive only.

Going forward would use this method, since you really don't want to key up the radio and have it stuck transmitting a carrier. If it occurs on channel 16 you could be big legal trouble.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
ATLANTIS 290 Dual Band Marine VHF and GMRS Radio
ATLANTIS 290 Dual Band Marine VHF and GMRS Radio

Dual band marine VHF and GMRS radio. 22 Channels and 10 hour battery life.

Product Overview

• Atlantis 290 radio combines a powerful marine VHF radio featuring all NOAA weather channels with a GMRS radio.
  • JIS7/IPX7 Submersible Waterproof level + Designed to Float - So you can use it just about anywhere in any weather condition.
  • Land based (GMRS) + Marine (VHF) Two-Way Communications - These bands allow you to communicate with other radios that are tuned to the same band and sub code.
  • 1/2.5/6W (VHF) + Power Boost PTT Key
  • 10 Hour Battery Life, 7 Hour Charge Time
  • NOAA Weather Channels - Sounds a warning tone when a hazard alert is issued.
  • Vibrate Setting (GMRS only) - In GMRS mode, turn Vibrate on and off through the menu.
  • 22 Channels (8 GMRS/14 FRS) + All Marine VHF Channels - It allows you to communicate on land with other GMRS-capable radios and all Marine VHF radios.
  • 142 Sub Codes - Helps prevent interference from other users on the same channel.
  • Dual and Triple Watch Operation - These different watch modes let you monitor up to two Coast Guard Distress/Hailing channels along with one regular marine channel.
  • Weather Alert Watch mode - Mutes the radio while it monitors a preset Weather channel. It sounds an alarm if there are broadcasts on that channel. Put the radio in the charger to keep power on.
  • Emergency 16/9 Channel Monitoring - It can scan one or both of these emergency channels regularly within normal scanning cycles.
  • Large, Easy-To-Read Backlit LCD Screen
  • AC and DC Adapter and Charging Cradle Included
  • Glow Seals
  • Alkaline Battery Capable
  • External Speaker-Microphone Jack - An external speaker-microphone jack allows you to add an optional external speaker-microphone.

Also see:
ATLANTIS 295 Dual Band GMRS and Marine VHF Radio Camoflage

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Dual band marine VHF and GMRS radio. 22 Channels and 10 hour battery life.

You may have trouble finding those for sale new. I believe the FCC had some sort of heartburn over them, but I don't recall what the issue was. Something to do with multiple type certifications.
You can probably find them on the used market, though.

Or just use the radio the OP has in RX only mode.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Cobra MR-HH450 DUAL Combination Marine and GMRS Radio in-stock, $149.95

I'd say buy the transceiver. Get a GMRS license and use the marine band responsibly. No one is going to prison if the push the wrong button momentarily/accidentally.

WB9YBM

I was going to add TX to the marine channels but I think it may be illegal?

Even if your radio is certified to transmit on marine channels, the FCC regs say that you actually have to be on the water to be legally allowed to transmit (I forgot how shore stations [like a marina] are licensed--probably an extra box that needs to get checked off on the license application). And no, transmitting from your boat while it's sitting on a trailer won't cut it.

Delivers1234

Under the heading of 'no one will likely ever know'….

A GROL license is also required to program marine radios. That's if you really want to toe the line.

And, yes, a Part 80 radio is required, if you want to toe said line.

Just program it for RX only, then there is nothing to be concerned about.

As for GMRS power levels, what was your specific question on those?
I get confused on which gmrs frequencies on the TERA 505 have the low power and high power...

Also for Channel 16, its on receive only (all marine channels are) but I keep getting a green flash indicating something is being recieved. I think it is receiveing but I don't here anything. Does channel 16 transmit something digitally from the coast guard? or something? I don't believe the radio is in scanning mode.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I get confused on which gmrs frequencies on the TERA 505 have the low power and high power...

According to the Powerwerx website:

ChannelRX FrequencyRX ToneTX FrequencyTX ToneTX Power
Channel 1462.5625 MHzNone462.5625 MHz141.3Low
Channel 2462.5875 MHz141.3462.5875 MHz141.3Low
Channel 3462.6125 MHz141.3462.6125 MHz141.3Low
Channel 4462.6375 MHz141.3462.6375 MHz141.3Low
Channel 5462.6625 MHz141.3462.6625 MHz141.3Low
Channel 6462.6875 MHz141.3462.6875 MHz141.3Low
Channel 7462.7125 MHz88.5462.7125 MHz88.5Low
Channel 8462.5500 MHz88.5462.5500 MHz88.5High
Channel 9462.5750 MHzNone462.5750 MHz141.3High
Channel 10462.6000 MHzNone462.6000 MHz141.3High
Channel 11462.6250 MHzNone462.6250 MHz141.3High
Channel 12462.6500 MHzNone462.6500 MHz141.3High
Channel 13462.6750 MHzNone462.6750 MHz141.3High
Channel 14462.7000 MHzNone462.7000 MHz141.3High
Channel 15462.7250 MHzNone462.7250 MHz141.3High

Also for Channel 16, its on receive only (all marine channels are) but I keep getting a green flash indicating something is being recieved. I think it is receiveing but I don't here anything. Does channel 16 transmit something digitally from the coast guard? or something? I don't believe the radio is in scanning mode.

No. Probably just the squelch set too lose, or you're just on the fringes of something.

Delivers1234

So I have 156.800, channel 16 on the tera505. On receive only. Near Monterey, I get cleaning or some commercial people talking. I don’t get it in my ftm-100 radio.

is the handheld just more sensitive? I have iton “narrow” and carrier for busy lock.

N2DUP

Amateur | Professional
Premium Subscriber
Cobra MR-HH450 DUAL Combination Marine and GMRS Radio in-stock, $149.95

I'd say buy the transceiver. Get a GMRS license and use the marine band responsibly. No one is going to prison if the push the wrong button momentarily/accidentally.

What makes this radio legit is that you physically have to switch between GMRS or VHF marine usage. That's how the FCC will approve them. They can't include GMRS and VHF marine operations at the same time. Mainly so you can't push the wrong button. Just know which band you are using at the time and no mistakes.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I have 156.800, channel 16 on the tera505. On receive only. Near Monterey, I get cleaning or some commercial people talking. I don’t get it in my ftm-100 radio.

Yeah could be intermodulation/images as ND5Y said. The radios are not super high quality, so strong nearby signals can mess them up.
Someone using 156.800 for business would not go unnoticed. And the fact your Yaesu doesn't hear it tells you that it's a quality issue thing.

is the handheld just more sensitive? I have iton “narrow” and carrier for busy lock.

Marine VHF is traditionally Wide. Eventually it'll start going narrow band, but not yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.