• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Gmrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pmc

So I’m looking into getting a gmrs radio but have a few ? What’s the distance I would get with one and there’s a repeater here that reaches my area and the area I’m wanting to talk to is that gunna help with distance where about 40 to 50 miles away

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So I’m looking into getting a gmrs radio but have a few ? What’s the distance I would get with one and there’s a repeater here that reaches my area and the area I’m wanting to talk to is that gunna help with distance where about 40 to 50 miles away

Distance is variable. Depends on antenna height, local terrain, receiver sensitivity, band conditions, etc. Also, since it usually comes up, increasing transmitter power output does not equal a 1:1 increase in range. In other words, doubling transmitter power does NOT double range.

Since UHF tends to work by line of sight, you need your antenna up as high as you can safely get it if you want to increase range.

Repeaters, depending on their location, will give you quite a bit of range. Without knowing the exact system, it would be impossible to tell you how far it would reach. However, if it is up high enough, the "line of sight" thing works.

Keep in mind, however, that repeaters are privately owned and maintained. While many are open to all licensed user, many are not. It is strongly recommended to talk to the repeater owner and get permission before using it.

Pmc

I’m on a mountain and the repeater is on a slightly higher mountain then it goes down hill to basically where I would want to talk.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Any more information I should know about gmrs that you can enlighten me on

Yeah,
As I'm sure you know, using GMRS requires an FCC licenses. It can get confusing, because the FRS radio services uses many of the same frequencies. FRS requires 2 watts or less on most channels (0.5 watts or less on others) and non-removable antennas.
That really limits what you can do.
With a valid FCC issued GMRS license you can run 50 watts on the primary GMRS channels and repeater inputs, and 5 watts on the shared FRS channels. GMRS also allows external antennas.

To get the most range from GMRS, you'll need decent commercial quality radios. You won't get good performance out of the consumer grade junk.
Adding a good external antenna on your home and car will make big difference with performance.

I let my GMRS license expire many years ago, but back before others in my family got their amateur licenses, we used GMRS heavily. We had access to a high level repeater that gave us a lot of coverage.
Using simplex (direct radio to radio) in our vehicles, it was not uncommon to get 15 miles of range between them. Using the repeater, I once talked to my dad about 120 miles away.

Good antennas and radios make a big difference in performance. Before spending money on getting your FCC license, have a realistic discussion with yourself about what you -real- budget is. If you are looking at buying a couple of $30 radios, don't waste your time. If you are ready to invest in some real commercial quality UHF mobile and portable radios, then you are on the right track.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
How do u use the repeater

Well, first you talk to the repeater owner.
He/she will give you permission and the information you'll need to access it.
That information will consist of an input frequency (467.###MHz) and output frequency (almost always 5MHz below the input frequency, so 462.###). They will also give you the squelch codes that will need to be transmitted with the input frequency. That'll either be a CTCSS/PL tone frequency, or a DCS/DPL code.

Once you have that, you program your radios to match.

FCC rules say that you have to give your call sign every 15 minutes, or at the end of each conversation over the radio. Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (eCFR)

Status
Not open for further replies.