good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb5udf

Premium Subscriber
Should be

It should do a bang up job on VHF-HI, and 440-470 or so. It will probably do
pretty good on VHF AIR. Like most ham dual banders expect mediocre to poor
800mhz performance, but if you are near the repeater site, so what, it won't matter.

As far as your scanner goes that depends on the quality of the receiver and
how much RF gets pumped into it as a result of hooking up this
quality antenna. Some radios handle it better, some do much worse (like the pro-92-pro-2067) I used to have. I currently use a comet gp-15, which is similar but has 6 meters. Does great on VHF Low Band also.

But if you already have the antenna you won't hurt your scanner by trying it.

Jean

LarrySC

No because it is only good in the 50 to 54 mHz range. Now that does not mean you want hear anything. You could hear stuff on a wet kite string, BUT, what you want is an antenna cut exactly for the freq range you need. The most common are tri-band types. VHF/UHF/800. An antenna not cut for those ranges will allow signals into your scanner that you dont want and may cause overload or intermod. An antenna cut for tri-band will ATT freq outside of the range it was cut for. Look at www.bncantenna.com for ideas.

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
kb5udf said:
It should do a bang up job on VHF-HI, and 440-470 or so. It will probably do
pretty good on VHF AIR. Like most ham dual banders expect mediocre to poor
800mhz performance, but if you are near the repeater site, so what, it won't matter.

As far as your scanner goes that depends on the quality of the receiver and
how much RF gets pumped into it as a result of hooking up this
quality antenna. Some radios handle it better, some do much worse (like the pro-92-pro-2067) I used to have. I currently use a comet gp-15, which is similar but has 6 meters. Does great on VHF Low Band also.

But if you already have the antenna you won't hurt your scanner by trying it.

Jean
ok right on, i have a BC796D and i have the antenna just not installed yet..

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

To state it simply a 2M/70cM vertical will receive reasonably well on VHF Hi Band and UHF but cannot be expected to perform well TOO far from design center frequencies. I use a 2M/1.25M/70cM vertical as the mainstay and it receives well from Air to T-Band but is stone deaf on 800MHz. For that I use a 3dB gain cell phone antenna and a diplexer to feed both to the scanner.

Gee, how many times have I said that before? (;->)

RISC777

Warren,
Is that diplexer the one you had custom made, basically, once upon a time?
It's making me think more and more of going that route since no one else seems to have what I want or that I can find.
`Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.