Got a DMR problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

Recently picked up two Baofeng dm-5r radios, one a regular dm-5 and the other is a plus version. I also have a TYT 390. The 390 transmitts audio to the BAOFENGS, but the Baofengs do not transmitt audio to the each other but it transmitts audio to the TYT 390.
The Baofengs indicate with a green light that a signal has been detected but no audio Baofeng to Baofeng, when in the digital mode. In analog mode, audio appears nornal. They do transmit digital audio back to the TYT 390. The Baofengs have different id's, both set on CC1, slot 1,group and contact set to alls call.
I don't have any DMR repeaters in this area but there are applications where simplex DMR can be put to use.

So if anybody has the solutions to my limited knowledge, I would appreciate your thoughts.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I returned my DM-5R+ and after three months of waiting finally received my refund after filing a PayPal dispute.

The sad fact is that these radios are totally incompatible with the DMR Tier2 format used by MD-380, MD390, Motorola XPR series, et cetera.

That said, your pair of them should at least be able to communicate between each other in either analog or DMR Tier1 modes.

teufler

OH i KNOW THAT MUCH, Tier 1 etc, but there are some things that can be done, outside of a repeater that these should be good for. Just can't figure out why I can not talk radio to radio with the Baofengs but can talk Baofeng to tyt and then back to Baofeng. We really don't have any DMR repeaters around where I live but the added "confidentiality " that digital offers has some uses. They are inexpensive and will allow me to learn about programming DMR radios before I jump to something better. Digital comms and the FCC, the rules are funny. We can talk analog, but if parties jump to digital , and leave the analog people out, that is fine by the rules. If we are talking digital and parties go to anaklog scramble, this is a no no by the FCC rules but youy have done pretty much the same thing going from analog to digital. Some or most are left out of the conversation depending on availability of equipment. Now we have digital, 3 or 4 different forms of digital, again thats ok by the FCC but again depending on availability of equipment, some or most are left out of the conversation. Now digital has encryption and communications are limited between different digital formats, this is not okay by the FCC standards. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

nd5y

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?
As long as the digital code used is publicly documented and not encrypted then it's legal. You can even invent your own.

There is no mention in part 97 of not having the necessary equipment to receive it or not being smart enough to figure out what digital code, protocol or format somebody is using.

teufler

Thats what I have been asking, whats the difference. Two radios talking analog, pretty much everyone can listen. If the two radios jump to digital, maybe a few can listen but that depends on equipment . Say the club has a rapid response team, their radios are programmed the same, and they jump to encrypted comms. The few that could listen are the members of the team, just as radios in the vicinity could listen to digital and some could not. FCC approves one and not the other, yet the end result is pretty much the same result. If two hams are using aprs, not on the international aprs frequency, and they send text messages back and forth, the only people that could "listen" are those that happen to stumble on to the frequency. These are ways that confidental comms arfe completed by amateur radio but encryption is not approved. The end result is the same thing. Its an oxymoron.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a stupid carryover from Cold War paranoia.There's no logically defensible reason why Wi-Fi and business comms (not to mention most internet connections) can (and should) be encrypted, but amateur comms cannot.

teufler

wELL IN A WAY, going from analog to digital, you may as well say its encrypted to those who only have analog equipment. Yes this is a stupid rule. Amateur comms, going to digital for most scanner people, its the same as detecting an encrypted signal. We can't understand it. Actually amateur comms when digital most amateurs can noty understand. In our ham club, of 115 members, maybe 5 have digital capabilities of one mode or another, but cross mode understanding is far and few between.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Encoded is not the same as encrypted. With digital encoding such as DMR, receiving an intelligible message only requires buying a publicly available receiver that conforms to published specs.

With encryption, you can't receive the message unless you have all of that, the encryption algorithm, and the key.

teufler

Yes in the long run, anyone can buy the necessary equipment and listen in. But in the short run, if hams switch to digital, any format, analog users will be left in the cold, just as an encrypted transmission would generate the same results.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
I am running into the same issue, or at least a similar issue with my DM-5R Plus radio. One of my local PD?s is on 461.17500 MHz, Color Code 5, Time Slot 1, Talkgroup 10001.

Using the programming application (CP_5R Version 1.0 from Baofeng), I create a digital channel, program the receive frequency (461.17500), and as a precaution I program the transmit frequency for something in the 70cm amateur band, and go through Baofeng's squirrel on acid process to link in the talk GROUP LIST to this channel.

On an analog FM receiver, I hear digital noise on the frequency. On the DM-5R Plus radio, I see a green receive indication light, and a signal on the little bar graph signal strength indicator, but no audio is heard in the speaker.

I may have worked for 34 years in two-way radio as an Installer, Technician, and lastly as a P-25 System Engineer. But this is killing me !

What am I doing wrong ???

teufler

I don't see a grp list. I assume tg 100001 is a private call . change to a group call, and set the contact in your grp list. Make another channel , same set up, group contact, tg id 61235, then another channel, same setup, contact for all calls, tg 16777215. Trying to open your selection so you will hear anything, then we can start narrowing down. If you are sure ts 1, forget it, but you could try ts 2. Are you sre your local pd is not encrypting. You will get a receive indication but no audio. Since cncryption is built into most if not all DMR radios, they might be using that mode. Maybe just setting a grp list will solve. Opewn Grp List, on the right you see contacts. You see the contact you have created for tg 10001. It , in the first column has a contact number. Go back to the left, scroll down to the contact number, click, a window opens, contacts you have in the radio, click the tg number, then add, it moves to the right. now go back to your channel allocation, open and look at grop list, open and select thelist number that has your tg in it. Send to the radio. How are you sure the cc, ts, tg is the right information?

Status
Not open for further replies.