GOT THE TIME?

needairtime

Whatever you choose, anything that doesn't have a connection to some sort of atomic clock will drift, including those "atomic clocks" that can't pick up the WWVB signal which is the true atomic clock. But excepting this situation the atomic clocks I've had don't drift, I'm using a Lacrosse WS9625U-IT weather station with WWVB reception, and despite being battery operated, it hasn't drifted much like most of my older AC-powered clocks. It too has a keyhole slot for wall use, but I have it set on a counter.

I've started noticing AC mains powered clocks that don't actually use line frequency as a time reference, so beware of choosing those. Most older line powered clock radios depend on line frequency and only drift when on reserve battery power. The newer ones end up using a crystal oscillator, though still fairly good, will still drift. These tend to have switch mode wall warts that don't pass the line frequency signal as a timing source. But do watch out, some power companies are trying to lobby their governments to not have to stick to fixed line frequency which would throw off these clocks' accuracy.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I'm sold on atomic clocks.

I use a Marathon Atomic wall clock. It keeps perfect time. I can tune in WWV on my radio and the clock will always indicate exactly 00 seconds when the WWV 'minute beep' occurs.

The clock sets itself just about every night after midnight by syncing with the WWVB signal on 60 kHz. I say just about every night because sometimes solar activity can interfere with propagation causing the clock not to pick up the signal. The clock has an indicator showing whether or not the sync was successful.

I think Marathon has discontinued the model, but here's what it looks like: Robot Check

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to ALL, but I think I said I was looking for a reasonably accurate wall clock, not a treste on HOW to build a clock or HOW accurate. I just wanted a clock gentlemen.

It seems that ALL messages on RR get diverted into discussions NOT related to the original query. SIGH
You said accurate, but not how accurate. There is a difference in knowing when life activities are happening, and needing plus or minus one second, for digital technology modes. (Hence my question, in my earlier reply.)

As mentioned by many, LaCrosse makes many options. Since you want a 24-hour format, check the MFJ clock options, as most consumer products do not offer that feature. (LaCrosse sells some models from their website, that do have a 24-hour mode, if you prefer.)

k6cpo

I repurposed an old Android smartphone that still receives a network signal. I have it in a cradle so it stays charged and I added the "HamClock" app to it. This gives me a dual time readout in local and UTC. I reset my wristwatch to WWV weekly and the smartphone clock is always right on the money with WWV.

kd4bas

Monitoring, Hanging Out, & --m--@@--m-- you.
Premium Subscriber
I use a LaCrosse (model # is not visible) that I picked up at the local Goodwill for $1.00 and once I set it and it synced the first night it's been right on the money ever since. At my desk I use an old Android phone with "Atomicclock" it syncs via pool.ntp.org. if your interested in that.

W5lz

One simple method of getting the accuracy you want is to simple re-set that clock. Extreme accuracy is just not needed so it should be easy to keep up.